I was thinking today about how before I was married or had children I never would have guessed that I'd have three boys. I do remember thinking I would choose to have all boys over all girls. My Young Women's president growing up had five boys and they all were very respectful to her, I loved how they treated their mom.
Anyway, shortly after I learned that I'd be having a third boy just 18 months after my second boy I started thinking about missions. I hope that all my boys will serve missions for our church. I am thankful every day that my father and my husband served full-time missions. This is a two year time commitment away from family, you are full-time serving the Lord and the church, traditionally boys served missions at 19 (but that was changed this weekend, getting there). I realized, Max would go and come back, then just three months later Sean would go, then 18 months into Sean's mission #3 would go and miss Sean coming home, so he wouldn't see his brother for 3.5 years!!
If you watched General Conference this passed weekend, you may have heard that the prophet, President Thomas S. Monson announced that the age young men can serve missions has changed from 19 to 18 years old, if they have graduated from high school. THIS IS A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FOR OUR CHURCH! and especially for THIS mom!
This means Max will leave the summer after he turns 18, then as soon as he gets back Sean will have just turned 18 and will be prepping to leave. The change here though is #3 will turn 18 when Sean has 6 months left BUT he'll still be in high school so he'll have to finish and then won't leave until the next summer, just as Sean returns home. I'm happy they won't be apart for 3.5 years.
But still, three back to back missionaries. For 6 years straight I could have sons serving missions. Oh my poor mommy heart! It will be so hard to kiss them good bye and I will spend every night thinking about if my little baby boys are being taken care of and doing their best.
Ok, I know it's not for like. . .16+ years, but I am a planner! For now I hope I can teach my children the gospel and prepare them to make the decisions necessary to serve a mission. I love being a boy mom, I think I've gotten pretty good at it for now, not sure what the cub scout and sporting event years will bring, we're going to be busy!
5 comments:
I love your thought process. I was thinking the same thing with my kids! Before I was so excited that Danielle and Ben could serve at the same time, but now it could be back to back... we'll see :) I do hope it makes it easier for my girls to serve before they get hitched :)
Those are the sweetest pictures!!! I bet you're a great "boy mom". :) I love having boys!
Oh Emily, I love that last picture of the boys! The facial expressions are just priceless. :)
Love the matching shirts! I'm so excited for your boys to serve missions! Their Aunt Annie will write them. :)
You are a wonderful Boy Mommy!!! Why do you think Heavenly Father entrusted them to you!! Love you!!! P
Post a Comment