Jared:

He's around here helping when he can, at school reading and such when he can escape, fulfilling his calling as Young Men's president, being a great daddy, surfing in the early mornings, watering our garden, picking our vegetables. . . what would we do with out you honey?
Emily:
Some days I feel like I have this "mother of two" thing figured out, other days I'm not so sure but I know it can be done and we're just taking it one day at a time! Two phrases have stuck out in my mind a lot lately. The first my dad said to me on the phone when I was over-due and had called my parents to talk/say hello. He said, "It takes a lot of faith to have children". I know that is the simplest thing and of course nothing new, but on that day it just hit me in a whole new way and I've thought about it every day since. Yes, it does take a lot of faith in so many ways. I know Heavenly Father trusts me with these babies and I have faith that he will help me every step of the way. Another phrase my midwife said to me at one of my last appointments. She was reassuring me that I'd be able to handle two kids and said, "You will just need to lower your standards for awhile". I remember this when housework and the lack of organization around here are starting to irritate me. It is only temporary, we'll find a pattern, a groove, a sense of predictability, sooner or later. Another word that pops up in my mind regularly is the word Fleeting. Now with my second it is becoming more clear that every stage is so quick, they really do grow up.Remember this poem?
Song For a Fith Child, by Ruth Hamilton. 1958
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
and out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
but I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
Max:

Enjoying being 2! He's such a big boy and can do so many things these days. I don't worry so much about him getting hurt when we're out playing because he is more coordinated and can react quicker. Heights on playgrounds still make me a bit nervous however. I'd say he is still handling the baby pretty well. He really loves the baby and always says, "hi baby!" and "wake-up baby!" he likes to give him cuddles and hugs. When he's in his high chair and Sean is in the swing he wants me to move the swing over so he can "see baby". He wants to feed him things. He really knows he shouldn't but will try to share his snacks, trying to be silly. I keep a close eye on that one though and tell him the baby only drinks milk right now and he doesn't have any teeth! Max has quickly become aware that he has to be more independent these days. He realizes that if I'm nursing or holding the baby, that I'm not right behind him like I used to be all the time. He has learned that he can actually run away from me. I don't think he realized he was physically able to run away from mom until now. He made a bee-line for a little stream at a park the other day when he realized I was across the playground nursing, and yesterday at the library when I had to drag him away from the little "wishing well" fountain they have in the children's courtyard, he broke free from my arms and ran all the way back to it, someone even let him out the door before I could catch him. He NEVER would have done anything like this before. He's also learned to open doors, unscrew lids, and climb out of his crib all since the baby came! He still is little though and does such cute things every day. He likes to repeat what we say. Especially interesting words like "cucumber" (which we're growing in our garden). If you ask him if he wants to do something like "Max, do you want to go to the playground?" he'll repeat "go to the playground" if they answer is yes, but if the answer is no he will clearly answer "no". He is cute with his toys and makes his Little People and Cars talk to each other. He really likes Tigers and Alligators (love when he says alligator). His Crocs are his "alligator shoes" and he loves to "play Tiger" with daddy (rawrrrrr. . .you get the idea). He really loves his daddy. I think they've spent a lot of time together the past few weeks since Sean's arrival and their bond is strong. He has started to do the actions along with songs like "itsy bitsy spider", "popcorn popping", "wheels on the bus" . . .etc. and it's so cute. When he wants to be carried he says, "mommy hug, mommy hug".
Sean:

Oh I love my newborn. He does fuss as most do at this stage (he's 5 weeks), I think he fusses more than Max did. I always remember being able to console Max quickly, Sean takes a bit more but he is still a sweet heart and very patient. I love how after he eats or when he's waking up he pulls that funny face with his eyes and lips pressed together, hands up over his head, back arched. Oh it is the sweetest, I want to try and get it on video before he grows out of it. I also love that sigh of satisfaction with a full tummy. Many have told me he is very alert. He focuses and even smiles every now and then! He coos "a-gaa" and other little gurgles. Most nights he sleeps from about 9 or 10pm until about 3 or 4am as his long stretch, then he is up for a little and sleeps for about two hours more. Last night though he was up at 2am and then 2 more times before 6:30am, let's hope this was a fluke and not the norm. He'll usually have a long stretch in the afternoon, if we're home and it will coincide with Max's nap a little bit, really great! Today we had a good hour of cuddle time just me and him (Max napped for 4 hours!), I love just looking into his eyes and he looks back at me assuring me that he loves me and knows I'm doing my best. Sean is a loud sleeper, grunts like crazy! This was really the only question I had for the pediatrician at his 1 month check up. Max did it too, I think it's pretty common for breast-fed babies but Sean really does it for hours at a time at night! Pediatrician basically said he didn't really know why they did it but hey if he's still asleep, just let him be. He sleeps swaddled, loves being swaddled. I got these great light weight "aiden and anais" blankets from Target which have been awesome as the summer heat and humidity are in full swing here in Orange County and we have no A/C. He enjoys tummy time, can roll from tummy to back already! He likes the soothie pacifier occasionally. His nails grow like crazy, I've already trimmed them three times. He seems to really enjoy his baths. As far as looks go he looked nothing like Max as a new born but I admit I'm starting to see some resemblance as he fills out, their eyes and nose are a different shape. Sean's eyes are still deep blue as Max's were at this time. Sean's skin seems more fair. His hair is longer but about the same color as Max's was at this time, it is definitely thinning out but no big bald spot yet.
2 comments:
cute pictures and sweet post!
It sounds like you're doing a fine job as the mother of 2! I am sure it must be really challenging at times! I'm pretty nervous about when that time comes for me and having to keep a curious toddler boy safe while caring for a newborn! Sean and Max sure are cuties. :)
Post a Comment