
Max started nursery on August 29th. A couple weeks before I took him for about an hour. Our nursery leader said that he could come try it out a couple weeks early as long as I stayed with him. This was NO PROBLEM for me! I knew the hardest part would be leaving him. He played with toys while I talked with my friends. He really didn't even notice I was still there, never even looked for me! He's known where the nursery room was for awhile now and was just thrilled to be allowed in. Max is used to being around lots of other kids so that was no problem, I just wondered if he would sit still for snack and lesson. It took a little direction but he climbed up on the chair at the table with the other kids and ate his snacks like a big boy, though he did spill his small paper cup of water! He laughed and talked to the other kids. Seeing him sitting around that little table eating and chatting was really almost too much for me! He looked more grown up at that point than he ever has! Then the leader got out the picture of Jesus and started doing a small lesson about what to do during prayer. I then realized, hey Max knows this stuff! He knows who Jesus is and can say his name. We've taught him what to do during prayer. It's just an amazing moment in a parents life when they realize that even when
someone else asks them about those things, they can still do them! We left after snack and went into Relief Society where he sat in the chair next to me eating more snacks and playing with his cars.


Then when the "official" day of nursery came (above photos) I still stuck around for a few minutes and snapped some pictures. Then I told him I was leaving and said good-bye. No tears or protesting. I walked into a combined meeting of Priesthood and Relief Society and sat down. It really felt SO weird! Jared is in primary so I really was just all by myself in there (ok, I have lots of nice friends, don't worry) but it just was a really weird feeling to not be constantly trying to keep my baby happy. Kept looking towards the door but of course, no one came to get me. When I went to pick him up though, he dropped his toy and came running toward me! He was content but happy to see mommy which made my day.


He's been just fine ever since. He pulls us there after sacrament meeting and goes right to the train table. I peek in to see how he's doing every now and then, without him seeing me of course. He's usually just at the train table with some of the older boys. But he's always excited and runs to me when I pick him up. The nursery leaders tell me he's doing fine in there but I still look to the door during class every time a nursery leader appears with a sad child!
3 comments:
Yay for Max!!! That's awesome! I realized one curse of our children's birthdays... they're going to be there for a long time after they turn 3, since they can't go to primary until the following January! AH! I keep picturing Weston as this giant three-year-old with all the little 18-month-olds... it's going to be a little wacky!! Oh well. :-)
Isn't nursery the BEST? Jonathan loves it, too, although the transition wasn't quite as easy as it seems to have been for Max. But really, it was great. I had to re-learn how to pay attention in Sunday School and Relief Society--turns out that my attention span had gone to ZERO since having Jonathan :)
being a nursery leader myself...it amazes me the things that these little ones can do and their personalities they crack me up!
Post a Comment