Friday, October 1, 2010

a Recipe for 108 degrees!

108- that's what the local temps hit on Monday! While many of my blogging friends across the country were posting about leaves changing on the mountains, warm Autumn dinners, and cozy sweaters we were experiencing the hottest day in So Cal in 20 years! L.A. broke it's record of 112 degrees that was set in June of 1990 when it hit 113 there on Monday. I kind of just laughed about this heat wave, I don't know, it's kind of fun to have something exciting like a record broken, right? We just dealt with it (did I mention we don't have Air Conditioning?). We were lucky our power didn't go out like some of our neighbors. We could keep our fans going even though they just felt like blow dryers in our faces! (ok, Max has a portable a/c in his room so at least he was comfortable and able to sleep and nap). But we just couldn't stay in the house all day. We headed to the Newport Beach Library for story time, then after naps went to Ikea to play with the train set they have out and to run around in the pretend kids rooms. Both places were nice and cool. For dinner I was going to make BLT's with homemade bread in the bread maker but the bread maker does get hot and nothing really sounded good but salad. We got creative:

BLT Salad

10 slices of Turkey Bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 small head of iceburg lettuce, chopped
1 large tomato, diced
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped

dressing:
1/2 Cup Miracle Whip
1 big spoonful Sour Cream
splash of lemon juice
Garlic Powder to taste
Black Pepper to taste

2 comments:

Carl and Amber said...

Just plug those hot things in on your patio. They get way too hot for bugs, and it keeps your house cooler. I think I use my crock pot more in the summer than in the winter!

Stephanie said...

How awful! I can't believe that your ac is out. That must be so miserable!