Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I still say a prayer

Since my last post whenever I scroll down to check for a comment I stop at this picture. I uploaded it again so now you can click on it and make it big if you want to.
This was my 5th period class during my last quarter of my second year teaching. They were a crazy bunch, a lot of boys, and some of my advanced girls were also in this period as well as in the performing group after school. A couple of the boys were refugee students from Africa and were fairly new to the U.S.. I often had refugee students, mostly from Africa or Burma, but one thing that stands out about these boys is that they were NOT shy whatsoever, they always tried to make me laugh(yes, one of them is pointing at me). Although they were a little clumsy and uncoordinated, oh AND hardly spoke a word of English, they did GREAT in dance. We had an understanding and a way of communicating somehow. I remember one day I told them I was a little stressed about the upcoming performance and to please follow the rules and not push my buttons that day. "Ok Ms. Whaat, Ok Ms. Whaat, we be good!" I turn my back to get some music for warm-up going, turn back to face the students and one of the same boys has the other by the ankles, swinging him around in circles! I totally ignored it and just began warm-up, they caught on.

Anyway, I loved these kids in South Salt Lake City. They had pretty tough circumstances, but they loved dance, they needed dance! They taught me many life lessons that I needed to learn as well. They cross my mind often and I still say prayers for them.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

You can tell that you were such a good teacher because here you are, years later, still praying for your students. I love it.

Carl and Amber said...

What a cool story! I never would have thought that you would have that in SLC!

Jamie said...

My first year of teaching was at a similar school. You realize when you teach kids like that, that the most important things for them are survival and it makes you appreciate what you have. I think about those kids now and then too. And you were a great student teacher, so I'm sure an amazing teacher!

Headle said...

Emily, your love of dance is so inspiring! I think because you see it spiritually, your students respond to you in a deeper and longer lasting way. It becomes much more than a series of steps to be memorized, but it becomes a WAY of life. You have instilled principles that inspire and bless these kids to feel the love of our Heavenly Father. You were always meant to be a teacher. And you are an incredible one. :)

Angie said...

Wow, that is so neat! Great great post. I'm sure you made such a huge difference in those kids' lives. And you still are, by thinking about them and praying for them! You're such a great example. Now I want to get a photo with our Sunday school class here in Harlem.

Mallory said...

Thank you for being such a great teacher! The kind that really shows how incredibly valuable the performing arts, or visual, etc. are to so many people to express themselves. You can tell you love dance and these students.