Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Mini-Van Solution!

I've had an epiphany! I just LOVE this feeling! It's like the feeling you get when you figure out how to organize your storage closet better or when you have a stocked pantry and a weeks worth of meals planned . . . do you know what I mean?
OK, back up, A long time ago I came to the realization that if I'm going to be a mom, no matter how many kids I end up having, I will need a mini-van at one time or another. I really have no problem with this. I guess when I was young and naive I thought they really "weren't cool" or whatever, but then after two summers of baby sitting my niece and nephew and driving them around in my Civic while they poked each other in the back seat I realized how convenient it would be if kids didn't have to sit right next to each other and if I could just stand up real quick to be able to get to them or hand them something.
Growing up, there were 7 of us, we actually never had a mini van, we had a VAN! Two different ones actually, neither like the one above but you get the idea. When the kids started growing up and moving out, my dad held on to the second one for awhile because he was hauling around his soccer team that he coached. I miss those days . . .watching soccer after school and my dad in his "Coach Wright" hat . . sorry, sidetracked . . ok, my point.

There are four, count 'em FOUR of these beauties in the parking lot I park in. I never really paid much attention to them, I assumed they were "surfer cars" or "hippie cars" and many are covered in stickers reading "question reality" "carnivores are worse than (something I can't remember)" "save our planet, ride a bike" . . .etc. Growing up I think we called them "grandpa-bugs". But over the past year or so I've begun to notice what a treasure these babies are! Once I walked by and the owner was mopping the WOODEN floor inside! Another time one guy had the roof raised up, you could actually stand up inside! They also have little stoves in them and on the outside you could hook it up to an electrical unit (liken an RV!) These are the ultimate family car! Especially if you're a camping, beach going family! (we're not really a camping family, but we could be!). Now every time I walk by I have visions of carseats strapped in and pulling up to pick up my kids from school in one of them. I'd be the coolest mom in town! (right?)


Unfortunately, Jared promised himself a long time ago he would NEVER buy a Volkswagen. My dad is also this way. European car, too expensive to repair.

Well, maybe we'll score a sweet deal on one when our family gets a little bigger, (preferably a shiny blue one like the one I saw grocery shopping today) and he won't be able to resist!

P.S. now I hope you are all singing "you take your car to work, I'll take my board . . ."

7 comments:

Jessie said...

My parents had a VW van for awhile and it was pretty fun. They actually bought it on E-Bay weirdly enough...Anyway, we've had a mini van for a couple of years now and we love it. They are way cooler these days than they used to be when we were younger.

Anonymous said...

My vote is YES on the VW van. You only live once, so you might as well be awesome about it. And you would pull it off well!

Lisa said...

HAHAHAHA, that's funny :) I've always said that I wouldn't drive a mini-van, but I'm pretty sure I'll eat my words on that one. They really ARE the best for kids.

Stephanie said...

Totally thinking our next vehicle will be a minivan. As 'uncool' as they are, they sure are useful.

rantipoler said...

I've always thought the VW vans we're pretty dang sweet. I say go for it. You can haul kids AND boards simultaneously!

rantipoler said...

P.S. Random fact: in Brazil they're known as "combis".

pandorasbox said...

WE got our first Mini-Van 20 years ago...when I was pregnant with our last child. But my BIL had one of those VW van's and he had me makd curtains for it back in the day. They are cute but noisy and gutless wonders!