Friday, October 2, 2009

Brilliant Choreography

I posted this on fb already but I wanted to post it here too . . .

If you could frame choreography and put it on a wall, this would be up in my house. This is such a beautiful piece of work. I've watched it about 10 times in the last day or so. Choreographed by Stacey Tookey for SYTYCD Canada. and the Adele song is just the icing on the cake.



Something about it just speaks to me right now, feelings and thoughts I've been having are articulated here through this piece. That is the beauty of dance, some feelings/ideas/emotions are most clearly be expressed through movement. Wasn't it Martha Graham who said "If I could say it I wouldn't have had to dance it!" when someone asked what a certain piece of her choreography was about?

Admittedly it could be cleaner, especially the mens section, but I'm sure they learned it all in less than a week.

Also, wow, that host is no Cat Deeley! I never really realized how good Cat was at her job until I saw this lady.

8 comments:

Jean said...

Ooooh, that is SO good!!! I love the lift-throw, and then the part with the women (just after the men's part). Beautiful!

Abbie said...

Wow! Seriously. WOW! I loved it. So beautiful.

Agreed, Cat is fantastic.

Lisa said...

That is gorgeous! I'm glad you shared it. And I know what you mean--the reason for the performing arts is because we CAN'T describe it in words. I had a violin professor who tried to get me to write lyrics to a piece I was playing, and I was just frustrated. Any words would ruin what I was trying to do!

pandorasbox said...

Beautiful performance...that is why I love the arts are a beautiful way to express any emotion...in any medium that the artist chooses... :-)

Headle said...

That was GORGEOUS! Wow!

Emily, you really do have such a gift in dance.

You have and will continue to have a bright influence for good on the students you taught dance to. They may forget some of the poses, the steps or moves, but they won't forget the poise, the grace under pressure and the confidence you instilled in them. They'll remember the long hours of preparation you put in, always smiling and ready for another take. They'll remember the way you stood strong in your values and didn't compromise on the little things. The essence of WHO you are was expressed in the heart-work you put into each of those dances. I feel it sooo strongly!

Like you said, dance expresses something inside of WHO you are! And you are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Cortney said...

That is awesome! :) I'm so glad you posted that! :)

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

I don't know that much about choreography and the art of dance but that was beautiful and i definitely have an appreciation for the beautiful talent of dance. They had some really pretty and elegant moves.

Anonymous said...

I am the furthest thing from a dancer, but absolutely can appreciate a thing of beauty (I am an Art History major afterall) and this was so moving. I love watching dance. I don't understand why people don't grasp the concept that art, performing or visual, can be so much better than words.