I'm starting this post half way through watching tonight's episode of the top 6. The finale is next week so I thought I'd post a few thoughts . . .who is really going to win this thing?
Brandon - Well no doubt he is the "best" dancer technically and is an amazing performer with a phenomenal stage presence. His tour jete in the Stacey Tooke routine made me say "wow" out loud. and he definitely deserved the standing ovation from his solo. BUT the winner of this show is also based on personality and the way they carry themselves when they're not dancing. This is where he lacks professionalism and confidence. Do you remember Will from last season? He really had it all, just thinking about him for some reason. . . .
Ade - Totally talented and I like his solos I think he and Melissa really worked well together, she brought out a lot of great things in him and he let her shine. But his personality is just kind of on a plateau, just a little blah. I mean, compare him to Joshua or Twitch (the two boys in the finale) from last season personality wise, do you see what I mean?
Evan - Oh, Evan is still here, I forgot! Well, Evan is great, lots of personality, but just not versatile enough to win this. He can do the other styles and pull them off but he's kind of a one trick pony at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed a lot of his routines this season! He does have a professionalism and an optimism about him that I admire. But I think he's going home tomorrow. It's been fun seeing him get this far. (i'm adding this later, I was thoroughly impressed with his turns into the side leap in his solo tonight)
Jeanine - Never really stood out to me until about three weeks ago. Yep, this girl is really good. Great technique, very versatile and a good presence on and off stage. I could see her in the finale but I think having Phillip as a partner hurt her in the beginning and she hasn't been in any really memorable routines this season, at least nothing comes to mind for me right away. Didn't really feel the hip hop tonight either. Her transitions and preps kind of linger a little longer than they should sometimes.
Kayla - It took me a while to see what the judges were seeing in her but she is really a very talented dancer technically and does a great job of portraying emotion on stage. That addiction routine a few weeks back was one of her best. She's a great mover and I enjoy watching her dance but there is something about the connection between her upper and lower body, her legs and her torso that just rubs me the wrong way when she dances. There is nothing wrong with it, it just isn't what I prefer in a girl dancer. Also I just don't see a light in her eyes and in her performances, don't know how else to explain that, it's not just that she's in serious routines. I think she'll be great in the finale though.
Melissa - Well, if you haven't figured it out already I'm predicting her to take it all. Out of the top 6 I think she has everything that the winners of this show tend to have. She's grown a lot, she stands out specifically in some way (as the oldest dancer), she's had some very memorable routines (the one about cancer last week, the pas de deaux). What I really love about her is that light and joy in her eyes. She was perfect for that cancer routine last week (btw, I didn't know it was about cancer, I just thought it was about a husband and wife because I was talking to someone during the little pre performance thing, and it still almost made me cry!). She and Kayla have different strengths. I think if Melissa didn't take it I'd be ok with Kayla taking it, I think it is a girls year.
Well, that is my two cents. I think it's cool that all 6 of these dancers have been in the bottom before. I should add that I'm not always right about these things though. Season one I was positive Blake would win but when he went home early I was happy with Nic. Season two I was all about Travis, I'm still all about Travis, one of my favorites ever on the show, but Benji took it all. Season three I was all about Sabra and she won! Season 4 I was a big Joshua fan all through the season but then at the finale I kind of fell to the Twitch side but was so happy for Joshua. We'll see!!
P.S. funny how I don't even vote!
p.p.s. Brandon and Kayla's routine had a lot of potential but honestly, it looked tired and heavy, I can't believe not one judge mentioned it.
9 comments:
I love hearing your opinions :)
I'm bummed, because I wanted Jeanette to win it, so my fave is gone. I really like Brandon, especially because I don't care about their personality very much--it's dancing, people! Ade has always been sort of blah for me. Evan should have been gone a long time ago. But I'm fine with any of the girls or Brandon. We'll see!
I've been waiting for you insight. Thank you!
So, are you so sad about Jeanette? She had personality and technique. She really should have won. I loved her.
I agree with you on a lot. Brandon is amazing, he really is, but I don't love him. Evan is just painful to watch sometimes - I've loved him a few times, but the fact the judges are just waiting for him to do something wrong is kinda sad. I like Ade, but I think it's because of Melissa. Jeanine is really good, but I feel like she's always doing a strip-tease with her solos. My two favorites by far are Melissa and Kayla. I would love either of them to win. Melissa is so fun to watch in everything. And Kayla, I like that she's kind of shy. I thought she was full of herself, but I don't think she is, I think she's just a lady about stuff. Same goes for Melissa - such a lady. Love them.
Oh wow, longest comment of my life. Thanks for your two cents, Emily. I don't vote either - ha.
Little C was pretty harsh last night. I really haven't been too impressed with a lot of the choreography this season. Or the solos. Brandon did do a good job on his solo. I have loved Jeanine and am impressed with her solo choreography. Melissa also is good-but her solos have been terrible. Oh yeah Evan, I think why is he still here and then he does his solos and they are so much better put together than the other guys a lot of the time.
I agree with everything- I really want Melissa to win...she deserves it the most
Yeah, I wish the top four could be Jeanine, Melissa, Kayla, and Brandon! But obviously that can't happen.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Brandon's a BEAST on the dance floor, but he just seems smug. And I despise that smugness... it's in his smile or something. Blech.
I really like Ade. He's my favorite of the final 3 guys - but he does leave something to be desired in the charisma department.
Evan ... he's cute, I guess... I'm shocked he even got this far, to be honest. Like him. Don't love him.
Funny. Jeanine's my absolute fave this year. Interesting that you as well as some of the above comments are not so into her. I think she has life and sparkle, technique, and some WICKED leap skills. To each their own, I guess.
Kayla - mylanta the girl has lines! But there is something about her, much like Ade, that lacks.... "sparkle" for me. If I could've smooshed her and Jeanette into one, that would've been perfect. (I didn't love Jeanette's dancing... her technique outside of her genre was... meh).
Melissa. I love her! I would want to be friends. But everything she does is too.... light? Maybe? She never gets quite enough into the ground for me when it's needed. Beautiful ballerina... yes. Love the spirit about her, yes. LOVED the cancer routine. YES! My favorite person? Yes. My favorite dancer? No.
My $0.02.... and then some. :)
I totally agree, and I'm rooting for Melissa and Brandon (but mostly Melissa). That cancer routine had me in tears. That was the time that I've come closest to actually calling and voting (which I still haven't done, haha!).
It's funny that I'm commenting right now, because the show is on. I don't really care about Thursday nights, though... I'm kind of a Wednesday girl. Probably why I don't bother to vote. :-)
Oh, and btw, I'm so excited that next season is starting in September!! I didn't even know that until Nigel mentioned it last night! It looks like the show has become pretty popular! Yay!
melissa is my favorite by far!
Post a Comment