. . .Critique
I've made it clear that I love So You Think You Can Dance. I've been watching it since season 1 and the show has certainly come a long way. A high point for me was season 2 when a guy I took class with was in the top twenty. Most nights, Jared has been the one who watches the show with me (except 2 summers ago, Sarah, that was so fun!). He's a good sport about listening to all my opinions and critiques on the dancers and choreography. All I really ask him to do is listen. But I thought it would be fun to post up my thoughts on my blog as well. So tonight, instead of doing the dishes after the show I ran up here to the computer. Here are Em's thoughts:
Brandon and Jeanette -
missed this one, I was putting Max to bed but I will say that Brandon really is amazingly talented. It's not just this weird hype that Mary started. He is a brilliant dancer who does make every style look like his own, a true sign of greatness in my opinion. His personality doesn't really rub me the right way though. I think he seems a little young and doesn't quite have a grasp on how he presents himself.
- Jeanette I haven't really been paying attention to so far but there isn't anything I don't like about her.
Kayla and Kupono - Sonja Routine
-Kayla is growing on me. I didn't really see what the judges saw in her during auditions but she is growing on me.
- Kupono I haven't really liked and I thought he'd go home a couple times, just isn't very versatile.
-OK, this routine was probably my favorite this season. With this Sonja lady you just never know what to expect but this was AWESOME. The music, the partnering, the levels, the focus, the emotion, and the commitment of the dancers, it was all there. Kupono DID look like a completely different person than I'm used to seeing as the judges mentioned. Kayla nailed this triple pirouette right in the middle of it all and it was so beautiful. I LOVE a good turner and a good leaper. I've been dissappointed that the dancers don't showcase their pirouettes and fouettes in their solos. I know their capable, they just need to find a way to throw them in with a smooth transition in and out so it's not like "ok i'm turning now".
Randi and Evan - Broadway
- I do cheer for Randi, she's from Utah Valley! Evan I do like as well but I preferred his brother over him, but I guess I'll be seeing him in the Fall season they're doing?
- Choreography is a bit confusing. Broadway should be crisp and clear as far as a storyline goes and I felt like this was either out of a musical I didn't know anything about or just confusing. The unison movement was just kind of thrown in for unison's sake, I don't know. Oh so Nigel I guess is saying it is a Fosse style, ok, now I see the subtleties with the wrists and everything, got it. But I've only done Fosse in a group number, this didn't seem like the Fosse I know but that definitely clarifies the punching and stuff. Eh, not my favorite and I did expect more out of Evan as well as this is supposed to be his cup of tea.
Caitlin and Jason - Jazz
- Caitlin, I don't really get it with her. She's good, but I don't know what made her stand out so much at the auditions other than the fact that she's tricky b/c she was a gymnast, but tricky doesn't cut it with me, and is it just me or does she look just like Amy Smart the actress? But her solos have really been great, I don't not like her.
- This is the first time Jason has stood out to me, I want to see more from him.
- Choreography, I'm glad Brian Friedman is back this season. Ok, so this whole alien thing, I think it was pulled off very well actually. It was different but not so out there that people don't get it and not so characterized that it was cheesy. Her costume was very distracting however. I really wish they wouldn't tell us the story before the actual dance, it looses some of it's artistic value. Dance is supposed to portray a message through movement, without words, so please don't ruin the viewers journey for us by telling us the exact intent of the choreographer. Jason did a great job of playing the submissive role, I felt she held back a smidgen in her dominance but still pulled it off.
Phillip and Jeanine - hip hop
- These two haven't really stood out to me much.
- Napolean and Tabitha, I'm usually a fan of their stuff. I think they're a cute little choreographing couple and I'm amazed they can do this together as a job. Oh, Love Lockdown by Kanye West!! I've had a dance simmering in my brain to this song as well, it was nothing like this dance and certainly wasn't hip hop! But the chain is creative. I felt though that there were only a few moments where they actually did steps that they could only do with the chain. I don't know I kept waiting for some really cool chain moment and it just didn't come. There was some creative floor work. I LOVE how Mia sort of commented on how the choreography was lacking. Because sometimes it really is, but the judges will never say so and I know they know so!
Melissa and Ade - Pas de Deaux
- I really like African American male dancers and I really am liking Ade
- I always look forward to Melissa's dances too, I think it's great that she is the oldest on the show, 29.
- Ok so the routine. Hmm they didn't make Ade wear tights, I know men in tights is not what this audience is used to seeing but if it's going to be a classical number they should commit to it. Oh well. He looks like a very comteporary dancer doing ballet. I actually love it, but if it is supposed to be classical style then it doesn't cut it. She is very flawless and has great technique BUT it is pretty simple ballet, I know she is capable of more. This is being played safe. It really was wonderful, it was over too soon! Both could've done more technical stuff but I think they just played it safe overall. But it worked, it was simple and sweet.
Karla and Vitolio - Quickstep
- I REALLY like Vitolio, he may just be my favorite male as of this moment. His personality and how he talks actually reminds me of one of my advanced students at Granite Park from Liberia. I just love it. I also love the rawness and commitment in his movment. I've loved his solos and don't understand why the judges have been so hard on them.
-Karla is good but I'm surprised they've kept her over other dancers they've sent home.
- This dance I don't have much to say as far as technique because I know nothing about the quickstep but I just love Vitolio's confidence and how he completely embraces his role. Karla does look a little unsure compared to him but there is no moment where you could pin point it. Love the costume change, that was fun. One of my favorite ballroom numbers this season.
Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think! Even if you disagree!
8 comments:
Hey, I've been waiting for you to do a SYTYCD post! It's too bad you missed Brandon and Jeanette, because that might have been my favorite routine. I agree with pretty much everything you've said--we would get along well as SYTYCD watching partners :) But I'm actually glad that they tell us the story before they do it, because I'm too dumb to figure it out from dancing. That has been the hardest thing for me in watching ballet--I have no clue what's going on! But I see it from your point of view, too.
For the most part, we are in sync with our oppinions. I like Brandon a lot. I really truly think he's absolutely amazing. And Melissa is gorgeous! I loved the first dance they did, the Mandy Moore piece...WOW!!! I have to disagree about Violio. He really bugs me and reminds me of guys at BYU who would get into Dancers Co. with zero technique...because he was a guy and could jump high (it's been one of those things for me!) But I did, however, think he did really well at the quick step last night. But over all, you said it!
I was a the temple last night so I didn't get to see the dancing. it helps reading your critiques so I will know what to look for! I will have to watch tonight!
I have a lot to say...
LOL
I'll come back in an hour when the baby is taking a nap. :)
I agree with Lisa--Brandon and Jeanette's routine was my favorite last night! I'm sad you missed it. I love love hearing your opinions because I have never been a dancer, but I love watching dance so much. I loved the vampire/death routine, too.
I have been really sucking this season but it is good to see your opinions so that I can try to keep up- I sure wish they would post the shows online so I could go back and see them...especially since I need ideas for choreography
Emily--you are soo cute! I haven't actually ever seen the show. It sounds like I'm really missing out! It was so fun to read what you thought of each of the dance routines. You are adorable!!!
Ok - here goes:
I 100% agree about Brandon. He is INSANE good! And incredibly versatile. I think, however, he APPEARS smug. He probably isn't smug... but I don't know if it's the way he smiles or just his overall carriage. There's a certain endearing humility that seems to be missing, although, strangely enough, he seemed so humble in the audition episodes.
Did you not see Kayla's audition?! The girl did, like, 8 turns! It was crazy control & center. You expect that from awesome guys, but I don't know if I've ever seen a girl do so many controlled turns in one go. She's very good. She is amazing because her technique is something you just. cannot. fake. I really like her. One of my top 4 dancers overall, undoubtedly.
P.S. (I always love Sonja)!
I preferred Evan's brother, as well. But I think I'm a big fan of Randi/Evan. They have a charm about them.
I agree 100% about Caitlin & Jason.
I also agree about Phillip & Jeanine. I kind of wish Phillip would go... and maybe take Caitlin with him and then Jeanine & Jason could couple up and that might be a-maz-ing.
I wanted to see more complex stuff from Melissa, as well, since it's her genre. I like Ade, too.
I feel "meh" about Vitolio. Sometimes I love him, and sometimes I don't... so I'm neutral.
:) My $0.02.
Post a Comment