Saturday, February 21, 2009

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock

Well, for some reason I've had the "Time Bomb" song stuck in my head this past week. I'm 39 weeks and 4 days today. Feeling very ready. At my 38 week appt I was 2cm, at my 39 week appt I was 1.5cm (???). Who knows. I have another appt on my due date, Tuesday the 24th. Here is a recipe that I've made twice in the last week or so, trying to stay busy! It takes a little explanation . . .

My sister Becky has peach trees in her yard AND in the yard of another house they own that they rent out. This equals a lot of peaches . . .
Becky and I on Thanksgiving

My mom and my sister canned a lot of peach jam as a result.

One of my best gal-pals that I grew up with, Krista, came out to So Cal a couple weekends ago with a friend for a little get away to Disneyland and stayed with us a few nights, she stopped by my mom's before she left to see if she wanted to send anything, my mom sent me some of this Jam
Kris and I when she came to visit
Kris and I at Prom in 2002
This reminded me of these jam-filled cookies that my mom "helped" me make once as a kid to enter a neighborhood cookie contest, that we won! I couldn't find the exact recipe but it was a little bit like this one . . .enjoy!

Jam-Filled Butter Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg (or 2 egg yolks, I did try it both ways but liked the 1 egg because it fluffed them up just a tad more)
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
fruit preserves, any flavor

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Cream together butter, sugar and egg
3. Gradually mix in flour until a soft dough forms
4. Roll into small 1-inch balls, if dough is too soft refrigerate for 10 minutes. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Use your finger, or a similar instrument to make a well in the center of each cookie. (note: be careful not to make the bottom too thin or you may have jam leaking out.) Fill each well with about 1/2 tsp. preserves, fill to the top, but don't over-fill.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes (9 was perfect for me) or until bottoms are slightly golden. Let cool on the pan a couple minutes before removing to wire racks. Don't eat right out of the oven or the jam will run all over and burn your mouth! Let set for a few minutes.

Oh, and here I am at 39 weeks . . .
oh, just kidding that was Jared, his tummy is just as flat as ever, this is me . . .Valentines Day!

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

Those cookies look great, definitely will have to try it. Get in as many naps as possible while you are awaiting the excitement.

Liz Johnson said...

You look fantastic!!! Go get yourself a pedicure or something special while you're waiting for this little one to make his appearance. You're 9 months pregnant - you deserve it!

Sarah Roberts said...

you are so cute EMily:) Those cookies look yummy too.

pandorasbox said...

I am enjoying the yummy cookies you made last night while Jared and I were jamming on Rockband..but we didn't rack up the points until you joined in as our vocalist!!

Cam and Josie said...

I am SO jealous that you and Krista got to hang out! How fun! We need a little reunion sometime soon! You are amazing--on your feet, baking cookies, about to pop--I can't wait to see what your little man looks like!

Lisa said...

You seriously look so cute pregnant. So cute.

Yeah, I say pamper yourself and eat cookies till you're blue in the face. Go on dates with Jared and try not to think about how much you want the baby here. He'll be here before you know it. I can't wait to see him! Be sure to blog really soon after :) :)

Jean said...

Wow, you look great!! Those cookies look so delicious. I love peach things! And I really like Jared's "pregnant" pic! Hahaha!

Angie said...

Thanks for the recipe! that looks so yummy! You look way cute, good luck with the delivery. Can't wait to see pics of the little one!

Gaskin Girl said...

That recipe definitely looks like a keeper! I'll have to give it a try if I can find enough energy to bake as you do! :)
If you're getting SUPER anxious, both me and my sister had our babies the day after eating out at Chili's. We each ordered the chicken crispers (if I remember right) and labor started soon after! Hey, it might be worth a try! :)

Rachel said...

You look so cute Emily! And I think that pregnant pic of Jared is hilarious. I guess he was one of the lucky guys who didN'T gain sympathy weight. :) Good luck with your upcoming delivery! Oh and I agree with Stephanie, get lots of sleep now if you can!

Jared Blanco said...

This may be hard for some of you to believe, but, no I am not pregnant.

hilary w said...

You look so cute! I love your maternity shirt...where did you get it?

I am so excited for your little one to arrive! I check back every day for any updates. Just hang in there and keep imagining that your due date is weeks away so you don't get too impatient!

Jamie said...

The last 2 weeks seem like they pass ever so slowly! Cute prom pic, that's so fun!

Heather said...

Good luck Emily! You're so close, that's so exciting. You look great! Radiant as ever. - p.s. I love the new look of your blog (fun trampoline picture).