Question #1:
Were YOU born early, on time or late?
Question #2:
If you have kids, were they born early, on time or late?
Question #3:
Which of these items (which I don't have yet but am planning on obtaining) are ESSENTIAL to get BEFORE the arrival of a newborn.
- Diaper Pail (brand recommendations?)
- Baby Bjorn (gently used ok? or no way)
- Bouncer (swing may take up too much space)
- Crib Mattress (gently used ok? or no way. I do have a cradle to use for the first while)
- WTE the First Year Book
- Nursing Bras (ok WHERE to you find a good one? I've looked!)
- Nail Clippers/Baby Grooming Kit
Question #4:
What are you doing for fun on MLK Jr.'s Birthday?
Question #5:
Am I entirely lame-o for not posting any holiday pics until now? (**For more details on our Holiday see bottom of post entitled "Seven" below**)
Christmas Eve
22 comments:
You are so cute!!!
1 - I was born 2 weeks late.
2 - My first was induced 10 days late (and born on day 11...), and my second was induced 2 days late.
3 - Crib mattress is close to ESSENTIAL, and I think used is the way to go. Some people aren't able to sleep with their kid in the same room as them, and some babies sleep well in the crib from day one and thus don't have to do any type of transition from cradle to crib. Just a thought.
Nursing bras - Motherhood maternity. I recommend underwire, and get a cup size larger than they recommend (and a band size smaller). Online is easiest, but I'd go into the store for a fitting.
Nail clippers - both of my boys needed their nails clipped at the hospital. I'm surprised they didn't claw my uterus open.
Also, bouncers are great for when you need to take a shower - get one that vibrates!
Things we didn't like - diaper pail, WTE the first year (eh), and our swing (but it's a close-to-the-floor one). Baby Bjorns are worth every penny, and I'd definitely buy used.
4 - NOTHING. My husband has class. LAME!
5 - You, on the other hand, are NOT lame!!!!!! You are so cute!! I can't believe how close you are!
I LOVE your cradle. What an awesome item to have handmade, and to keep in the family for always. Plus, it is gorgeous.
1) I was 2 weeks+ late.
2) 1st boy was 3 days late, 2nd boy was 3 days early.
3)I would not buy a used baby mattress. You want it to be firm, and no used mattress will be absolutely firm anymore. You can get a new one for <$50 on Walmart.com Since you have that really cool cradle, save $15/month until he is too big for the cradle, and then buy the mattress for the crib. I loved our Snugli carrier. It's far from the Cadillac of carriers, but even with my really big firstborn, it was supportive enough for long grocery trips with him in it. Get a used bouncer or swing (or both). I love our Diaper Genie II (don't get the original Genie). A pail is not necessary until a baby is on solid foods though. Until then, they use too many diapers that don't even smell too bad and it fills up too quickly. Just have lots of grocery bags handy for a while. I don't like any of the What to Expect books. Read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and Ferber's book. If your kid sleeps well, you don't need to know much else about the first year.
I can't believe you are getting so close! Horray!
1)I was 10 late.
2)Both girls were induced 9 days late.
3)Ditto w/Liz on the diaper pail. A big, stinky hassle (we used diaper Genie). My girls (7.5 lbs) were both too little for baby carriers when they were born. They were too uncomfortable and preferred to be swaddled. Nursing bras: Motherhood or a Hanes/Playtex outlet store. You would have one down there somewhere, and they'll fit you as well. Just call to see if they carry nursing bras before you drive there. I would definitely have the bouncer ready - my kids needed the vibrating motion to fall asleep and it was indispensable as a safe, portable place to put them. Nail clippers yes, crib mattress might be able to wait awhile. You never know where your kid will want to sleep (Ev liked her pack 'n' play; Jilly was in the bed with me for a while). You do whatever you can to get some sleep. Make sure you have a thermometer!
4)Cleaning the house. The smog is too nasty to do anything outside!
5)I never posted Thanksgiving pictures. Does that qualify as lame as well?
1) I was a few days late.
2) My daughter was 3 days early (so basically on time)
3) Diaper pail – yes. We have a diaper genie and like it, but I can’t compare it to a different brand. Oh, I use cloth. So that makes a difference.
Baby bjorn – we used ours like three times…but we had a really nice jogging stroller that was light.
Bouncer – never owned one.
Crib mattress – we used a bassinette at first, so I worried more about it than the crib. I have issues with used baby stuff unless you can be POSITIVE you disinfected it totally (which for me eliminates any possibility of most things used, because I’m totally paranoid and ridiculous), or know who it comes from.
WTE – I REALLY dislike these books. They’ve got lots of good info, but also have a lot of guilt-based and fear-based rhetoric in them. I own them, but as hand-me-downs. I used the original WTE as a last-resort resource for non-burning questions, but not any of the parenting books they publish. One of the biggest motivators for that decision was the amount of food they insisted was necessary for my one-year-old to be healthy. At two and a half, she would STILL puke out her nose if I tried to feed her that much. Sorry for a long answer about a really little thing!
Nursing bras – TOTALLY!! NECESSARY! Get at least two of the “wear out in the world” kind with the snappable cups, and at least two of the softer, non-padded, stretchy “sleep in” kind that are more like a sports bra. They’re great for home. You should be careful with the sports bra-like ones (really the others too, I guess)…make sure that you situate them so that they’re not pressing really tightly at the sides while you’re nursing…it can restrict milk flow and lead to infections, which is not fun. I got mine at the Motherhood store in the mall while we were living in Provo….does it exist other places? Oh, and on getting them before baby is born….I would say wait until the very end of your pregnancy and get the stretchy sports bra-type ones to use until you can get out for a fitting, and then buy the “real” ones when you can try them on postpartum. I changed a LOT. Sorry if that’s TMI. I’m big on nursing. :-)
Nail clippers – meh. They’re nice to have, but we survived about two months without them.
4) We’re going to take family pictures! The last ones we took were before Bee turned a year….that’s a LONG time ago.
5) Nah…better late than never.
And the cradle is absolutely gorgeous. Love it!
1. I was 3 days early.
2. Zoe was 2 weeks early.
3. Never had a diaper pail...never plan on having one. Trash cans with lids work great.
Baby Bjorn-Zoe uses it now but for new born I loved, Loved the sling thing...what are they called? I call it the kangaroo pouch...I think they are just called baby slings. But anyways...it was great when she was a month or 2 old cuz then she felt like I was holding her but I had both hands free, and she was nice a curled up. More cuddly than a Baby Bjorn. Now the baby bjorn is nice cuz she can see the world.
Bouncer was nice. Make sure it vibrates. Swings are over rated. She hated the swing.
Get a new mattress, you'll be happier knowing your baby is the only one that has peed and pooed and spit up all over it.
What to Expect books just made me worry more and gave me anxiety. Any questions you have you can look up on line and get a more direct answer than you could find in the book.
Nursing bra...don't know.
You'll need a grooming kit eventually. But not right away. The hospital will probably clip nails and then you can wait a while before you need to clip them again. I think we went at least a month...almost two for her toes.
4. Not a whole lot, maybe go to the tide pools.
5. nah...you do what you do when you can do it. Remember that, especially after you have the baby. :)
1 - Don't know.
2 - Malia was born 1 day late, via emergency c-section after 18 hours of labor. Cecily was born 1 week early via planned c-section.
3 -
*Diaper Pail - have one. love it. hate having a smelly house.
*Baby Bjorn - can wait. really nice to have when they're older, but both my girls hate/hated it as newborns. I just got a sling... Cecily really seems to like it.
*Bouncer - get this used. Craigslist or something.
*I would not get a used crib mattress... you never know the history. It can probably wait, though. I mean, that cradle is perfect.
*Books - Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is a must. Saved. My. Life. (although - none of it's working this time around... go figure). LOL
*Nursing Bras - Motherhood Maternity. I just looked online and it says there's one in Irvine.
*nail clippers - yes.
4 - nothing. at all. meh.
5 - no.
Em--you are too cute : )
1. I was a few days early
2. Baylee was 5 days early
3. I LOVE my Diaper Genie II --You really can't smell the diapers (some people may disagree, but maybe they just don't empty it often!)
Another thing--I had Baylee in a pack n' play FOREVER when she started out in our room, and when I moved it to her room she was fine. When I switched her to her crib, she had no problems adjusting. If you are planning to put your little guy in the cradle (which is adorable btw!), you could definitely hold off getting a crib mattress for a few months : )
Nursing Bra--I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sleep bras at Motherhood! They are almost like a sports bra (no clips, wires), and are SO comfortable. I had several of them, and wore them to sleep (obviously), but also wore them during the day. For me, they are the easiest to nurse in--just pull down instead of unclip, etc. They are great! One thing I would say though--no matter what style(s) of bras you get, only get one of each style, go home, wear them, nurse, decide which is most comfy, then go back to get more of the ones you DO like (or just buy some of each and return the ones you don't like-duh me).
Baby Grooming Kit--I never got one--you really don't need one. You'll definitely need nail clippers, a thermometer, and maybe one of those soft little brushes, but some kits have a bunch of unnecessaries!
Bouncer-- GREAT to have (you can put him down and he can be semi- entertained). When my hubby was gone, but I needed to shower, I put Baylee in her bouncer on the bathroom floor....it was convenient. Although....I just realized...you really could use his carseat too--serves the same purpose?
Baby Bjorn or Moby WRAP (mobywrap.com) -- definitely worth it! Grocery shopping hands free, going for walks/hikes--love it! I loved my wrap and it was 1/2 the cost of a a bjorn. BUT the bjorn is nice too--it is a little more masculine for my hubby to wear : ) Either one/both/anything similar is a MUST!
4 - Nothing!
5- No, I just posted mine the other day ; )
Em, I am SO happy for you and Jared! You will be great parents! It is such a crazy journey--but is SO fulfilling and SO worth every second! (I know it's only been a year for me, but being a Mom is the BEST!) Good luck!
1. I was born two days early.
2. Liam was 2 weeks early, IT WAS WONDERFUL!!! :D
3. Diaper Pail: I have a diaper genie 2, and love it. It doesn't work great for messy diapers once they are about 4 months old, but if you put a bunch of wet diapers in a regular garbage can they will STINK.
Baby Bjorn: We got a Snuggle from wal-mart, that you could put on your stomach or your back. It was the same price as most others, but can hold a larger weight. I didn't use it much, but when I did I always put it on my back.
Bouncer: YES YES and YES!!! We used the little bouncers (with vibrator) when he was really little, and then an Exerciser (another AMAZING thing). although Liam LOVED his swing, they now make all different types, i.e. travel ones, that are smaller. I feel that all of these are easy to disinfect so I would look on Craig list these. I was lucky to get all of them from family, but each child is different.
Crib Mattress: I was a little OCD with this item, just because you hear stories of Bed bugs, i don;t know if you can even get them in a crib mattress, but you think it is only about $75-100. and you will prob. use it for all kids, so worth getting it new in my opinion.
WTE: I loved the pregnancy one, and I even got the week by week one when I was pregnant, but because kids develop so different from each other, if i ever had a question I would just look it up online. I owned the book and only read the first two sections.
Nursing Bras: A must need! I got some really cheep ones at wal-mart and they worked great.
Nail Clippers: I hate cutting Liam's nails, so i STILL don't do that (grandma does it for me) but if you have just a small pair of clippers, that seems to work fine.
Grooming Kit: A thermometer is a MUST NEED, but if your child has hair, you can use a regular comb.
I am so excited to see your new little ones photos! CONGRATULATIONS!!
#1--I was 10 days early.
#2--Jonathan was born one day early, so pretty much on time.
#3--Diaper pail isn't EXTREMELY essential, because their poop doesn't smell at first. BUT, I like the First Years diaper pail--it gets rid of the smell, it's not confusing, and you can use regular trash bags.
-Baby Bjorn or some sort of wrap thing is helpful 'cause those newborns (at least mine) like to be held, and it's nice to have arms.
-I would definitely get a bouncer, crib mattress, nursing bra, and nail clippers (although they told me not to clip their nails for the first week, which sucked because his nails were long). Used crib mattress kinda creeped me out, but would probably be okay. I've heard Motherhood Maternity for nursing bra (like Liz said), but I just used a crappy one I got at Gordman's.
-Not too sold on WTE the First Year. I AM sold on "Happiest Baby on the Block" and "On Becoming Babywise", however.
-I am teaching. Blah.
-You are only SORT OF lame. Totally joking :) You look adorable!
Fun questions! I'm sure you've gotten lots of good advice already. I'm going to come back later and see what everyone's said, but for now here're my thoughts:
1 -- I was born on time.
2 -- Autumn was early, Heidi was six days late, Esther was one day late.
3 -- ESSENTIAL to get BEFORE…out of the things listed, I think the only thing you’ll really NEED before he comes would be the nail clippers and baby grooming kit. That being said, here’s my take on the other items:
Diaper Pails are overrated. Just use grocery bags and twist and flip until you’ve used up all the plastic and then tie it off and throw it away. You’ll empty your regular trash often enough between diapers and every day trash that you won’t even notice a difference. Especially with the diapers all wrapped up (which is what many pails do anyway, like the Diaper Genie). But…if you really want a diaper pail, my SIL has the Diaper Champ and I almost bought it myself before switching to my “twist and flip” method.
Baby Bjorns are great (I had one) but Ergos are better. Ergos have more options (front, back, on the hip), a higher weight limit, and are developmentally better in the first four months especially because babies should be carried in a sling position at that time rather than legs spread out. They’re about the same price as Bjorns too if you’re buying a Bjorn new.
Swings always took up too much space for me too. But I also felt like bouncers took up too much space. I just used our carseat.
Eventually you’ll want a crib mattress. But there’s no rush. Depending on how big he is, he could be in that cradle for 3 months. Some of our girls actually slept in a portacrib for the first year, using the bassinet portion first and then moving below as they became more mobile. I did buy an extra portacrib mattress for added comfort. Whenever you do get one, I think used is perfectly fine.
WTE – Could be nice, but you’ll find the same stuff online.
Nursing Bras – up to you! For me, I don’t like them. Too much fiddling to get things going. I just pull everything up and everything down. It’s worked great with all three girls and I plan to do it again this time. BUT, if you’re really liking the idea, my sister gets hers from www.BreakOutBras.com
4 -- MLK J’s Birthday – I think we’re shopping! FUN!
5 -- You better not be lame for just now posting holiday pics because I HAVEN’T POSTED ANY YET! That'd make me MORE than lame! :)
Okay, here are my contributions!
(1) Almost right on time.
(2) 11 days late.
(3) Totally get a Diaper Genie II. I love mine, and our house "stinketh not" because of it. :-) I don't know if the crib mattress brand is a big deal - we just got the cheapest one at Target, and Weston's fine in it. Also, you can get a cute little medical/grooming set at Target for like $20 or something. I registered for that and received it, and although I don't use everything super often, I've used the brush and nail clippers a lot, and I like having the other things. If you want, you are welcome to borrow the following items from us: Baby Bjorn Active (always put Weston to sleep when we went on walks when he was little), WTE 1st Year (I used to read it every month, but now I just get regular BabyCenter email updates), bouncer (bounces and vibrates and works great but looks old and used because we got it at a rummage sale... but I still highly recommend a bouncer for something just to put the baby in so you can do stuff). Let me know!! I got all my nursing bras at Motherhood. I bought a couple before having Weston, and they ended up not fitting right. I bought a couple more, and one broke, so I bought yet another. They're fine, but a little cheap. I didn't know where else to get them, haha!!
PS - I agree with Lisa about Happiest Baby on the Block. I am ALL about that fourth trimester idea -- check it out, and swaddle swaddle swaddle!! :-)
(4) Nothing! Haha!
(5) I can't remember what your last question was. :-) Love ya!!
Question #1:
Were YOU born early, on time or late?
-I was a scheduled C-section.
Question #2:
If you have kids, were they born early, on time or late?
-Jane (our first) was born exactly a week late and Maren (our second) was born six days early.
Question #3:
Which of these items are ESSENTIAL to get BEFORE the arrival of a newborn.
- Diaper Pail - used it with Jane and really liked it, didn't use it much once we had Maren because with two kids in diapers it would get full way too fast. When I used it with Jane I mainly just used it for poopy diapers...not pee ones. You don't need it before the baby arrives.
- Baby Bjorn - I have never owned one of these. I borrowed one for Maren and loved it and will get one for our next baby. You don't need it before the baby arrives.
- Bouncer - we LOVED having a bouncer for both girls. A vibrating bouncer is a must.
- Crib Mattress - We had both girls in a bassinet in our room for the first few months...so you don't need to get this before the baby comes.
- WTE the First Year Book
- Nursing Bras - A must have. I got mine at Motherhood Maternity. Get normal ones to wear out and about and more comfortable ones to sleep in and wear around the house. Bring the more comfortable ones to the hospital with you.
- Nail Clippers/Baby Grooming Kit - Just get any kind of baby nail clippers before the baby comes...it's tricky to clip their fingernails at first because they are so thin, but they scratch their face if you don't keep them short...
James won't allow me to answer all questions. I will sip to essentials. I actually never had a pail, still don't. James got moved to his crib pretty fast because he just needed more room because he rolled around so much, so I would get the mattress. Need the clippers and bras (Motherhood Maternity was where I got mine). The other thing I think is essential that you actually don't have listed is a Boppy! Gotta have a Boppy to nurse or your arms will die!
Question #1:
Two weeks early. 6 lbs 8 oz
Question #2:
induced the day before the due date. 8lbs 1oz.
LOVE being induced. Would do it every time if I could
Question #3:
- Diaper Pail (brand recommendations?) I have the cheapy 15 dollar one for babies R us. Works great. Has a lid that you life with the foot pedal.
I say don't waste your money on an expensive one.
- Baby Bjorn (gently used ok? or no way) Love it!
- Bouncer (swing may take up too much space) Brigham liked the swing better. When he was older he LOVED the jumperoo
- Crib Mattress never used a cradle. We had a mattress.
- WTE the First Year Book MEH. Just sign up for emails or something. There is a welcome baby program from the united way. I liked the free rescourses they gave me.
- Nursing Bras (ok WHERE to you find a good one? I've looked!) YES! I got mind from Gap, online. Or target online. Also, Get a sleep bra, you will live in it. And get used to wearing a bra ALL the time. Get some nursing pads too. The Lanisoh were my favorite brand for them, they come in a purple box.
- Nail Clippers/Baby Grooming Kit I just use regular nail clippers that are mine. Works great.
1 - born on my due date!
2 - N/A
3 - No idea
4 - I had to go to school and teach
5 - I love your pictures no matter when they're posted!
I am now officially the least helpful responder to this post! :)
1. Two weeks late
2. N/A
3. What the heck is a baby bjorn? It must not be essential I guess. ;) In my limited imagination of what motherhood is like, I would have to guess that a crib mattress would be most essential because a baby would cry a WHOLE lot more if he had to sleep on a hard board with no cushion...wouldn't you?
4. I had to work on MLK day, so :(
5. Love your holiday pics! Looks like you had fun. Get in as many dates with your hubby as possible before your baby arrives and you have less time to yourselves!
I hope it's okay that I'm taking your quiz kinda late.
1. I was born early
2. My first was 15 days early, my second was 20 days early.
3. I'd say the only ESSENTIAL thing is a nursing bra. I found good ones at Motherhood Maternity. I got one normal one and two nighttime ones. We still don't have a diaper pail, our Baby Bjorn is secondhand (and the baby has to be at least 8 pounds I think), a bouncer is handy, but not essential (we wish we had a swing), I'm sure a gently used crib mattress is okay-you put sheets on it anyway, you'll have to tell us what you think of the First Year book because I've never read it, and I don't know about baby grooming, but nail clippers are good to have early on.
4. Um... too late for this one.
5. No way! I still haven't posted holiday pictures at all!
Good luck with the next month (or less!)
I was 10 days late. Benjamin was one week late, but on time with his adjusted due date from the ultra sound. Benjamin was very colicky and didn't care for a bouncer. He liked the swing every once in awhile. I just used bras that you use in Jr. high without the firm cup. Diaper pail was useful when Benjamin was younger and needed a diaper change often. A used crib mattress is just fine-that is what we used. I would very much suggest the Johnson & Johnson nursing pads. They absorbed so much better than the Lansinoh ones. Good Luck!
I was early, and Caleb was early. I would get a bouncer and nursing bras (Motherhood). I'm not a huge fan of the WTE book. I liked the pregnancy one but the first year is kind of crazy because babies just develop differently. Good luck!
I know it's late, but here's my 2 cents:
1) I was born 2 days early
2) Lilly was born exactly on her due date and Maggie was born 8 days early (induced because I was having a lot of Braxton Hicks and it turned out that I had low fluid)
3) -Haven't had a diaper pail yet (we just take them outside as they come)
-Liked the Baby Bjorn (bought used on ebay for $20, but I saw some on clearance recently at my Target for 50% off) but not necessarily ESSENTIAL BEFORE the baby comes. But I would highly recommend it ASAP, in case your baby fusses a lot like Maggie did.
-Bouncer was the BEST thing I owned! Get one!
-Buy a crib mattress used. I got one for 10 bucks on craigslist
-I never had time to read after the baby was born, so I own WTE First Year, but I still haven't read it.
- I always get my nursing bras at Motherhood Maternity. (Probably TMI, but I like the padded ones so I look uniform all the time, and Motherhood is the only place I can find them.)
-Careful of the nail clippers: it's easy to clip off the end of their finger! Yikes! I heard a pediatrician recommend that you rip off the nails instead. Either way, just be careful! :)
GOOD LUCK with it all!
1. I was early, I think just a couple of days.
2. My kids were all early (at least a week).
3. Essential for around 3 months old would be one of those play saucer looking things. Every one of my kids loved it. The diaper pail is a big pain and you just end up smelling the diapers anyway...just throw them out immediately! A stroller with a carseat that goes with are essential too. When I had Tyson we bought them seperate...BIG mistake! I used a Bjorn with my first, because he was cuddly, but my other two hated it, since they weren't cuddly...You might just want to wait on that one :) Good luck! You're going to make such a great mommy!
4. Already passed :)
5. Nope, I'm still not up-to-date!
Post a Comment