Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Out of the Mouth of . . .

. . .Children Ages 6-12
Most of my class
My amazing co-workers, some of the nicest people ever.

I had my last day at work on Friday. My 5th and 6th graders and all the other kids in the program were really sweet about it and wished me the best of luck with the baby. Some of them even brought me baby gifts, so sweet. We had a little party on Friday as well. They really say the funniest things sometimes about pregnancy and the baby so if you have a moment, I think you'll get a kick out of some of the quotes below!
Some cards they made me, notice how my name is spelled, top right, and the baby with one leg.

"Miss Emily! WHAT are you doing here on the play ground?? We could hit you with the BALL!"

"Miss Emily WHY are you here?? You need to be a the hospital RIGHT NOW! you never know when the baby is going to come"

Kids: "Do you know who the Dad is"
Miss Emily: "My husband"
Kids: "You're married??"

Lupita: "Ms. Emily what are you having?"
Ms. Emily: "It's a boy"
Lupita: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Why can't it be a GIRLLLL???"

Carlo: (pats my belly after not seeing me for 2 weeks) "Wow, Ms. Emily, are you getting ready to hibernate?"

Hector: You MUST baptize him Catholic

Carlo: I've been thinking, you need to name him Mikey!
Ms. Emily: Ok Carlo, I'll talk to my husband about it
Carlo (EVERY time I see him): Have you told your husband about Mikey yet?

Ms. Emily is eating a piece of pizza . . .
Ignacio: Does the baby eat what you eat?
Ms. Emily: Yep, he sure does
Ignacio: Is he eating right now?
Ms. Emily: Yep, he eats when I eat
Ignacio: puts his hand on my BACK(?) " he IS eating!"

Bryan: Ms. Emily, do you want a hot cheeto?
Ms. Emily: uh, no tha-
Hector: "NO NO Ms. Emily can't eat those because she's pregnant!"
Ms. Emily: Actually Hector, they are fine, they wouldn't hurt the baby
Hector: "Oh I know, but THE MILK! THE MILK!"

Hector: Why is there a line across your belly?
Ms. Emily: That is the top of my pants
Hector: Why are they so high?
Ms. Emily: They are pregnancy pants Hector, they stretch and give room for the baby to grow.
Hector: Oh yeah, my Aunt wears those all the time.

After looking very pregnant for two months, and talking to many kids about it . . .
Adan (6 years old): passes me on the playground, does a double take, RUNs over to me, pats my belly, "oh my gosh you're pregnant your PREGNANT! Your having a baby!! Congratulations!"

Kids: Ms. Emily, why are you wearing sandals? Teachers aren't supposed to wear them!
Hector: hello?! because she's PREGNANT!
Kids: Oh, yeah, ok

After teaching my 5th/6th grade class about the "Harvest of the Month", the Mandarin, and then eating them they begin asking me about what you shouldn't eat when you're pregnant . .
Ms. Emily: Oh just a few things like certain kids of fish, raw meat, and of course you shouldn't smoke or drink alcohol.
Kids: *gasp* you did drugs before didn't you!
Ms. Emily: Alright guys, do I seem like the kind of person that does drugs?
Kids: BAHHAHAHAHAHAHA . . .

One day our reading teacher brought everyone M&M's
Julian: Ms. Emily, you can't eat the red ones, right?
Ms. Emily: what? what are you talking about??
Julian: Remember in Juno? she can't eat red M&M's or stand in front of the microwave

Kevin: Does the baby cry inside you?
Ms. Emily: No, he doesn't exactly breathe yet
Kevin: are you sure? what if we had you swallow a cell phone and then called it, would we be able to hear him cry?
Ms. Emily: No Kevin, the baby isn't in the same place where the things I swallow go.
Kevin: I'm so confused!

Carlos: (obviously trying to be tricky) Ms. Emily, where do babies come from? (chuckle chuckle)
Ms. Emily: Heaven
Carlos: You can't tell me that, because I KNOW about that stuff.
(Ms. Emily Ignores him and continues helping another student)

20 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

This entry was golden.
Good luck, Ms Emily!

Mallory said...

Hilarious. I love the kid that said his aunt wears high pants like yours! Goodness time has flown, I can't believe it's so close! GOOD LUCK with everything! :)

pandorasbox said...

ROFL!!! You should send some of these into the Reader's Digest and make some $$$$$....They are priceless! Loved the pictures! Kinda sad...I won't see your car in the parking lot when I turn to go home from the HS...:-)

pandorasbox said...

the baby with the one leg...I think that is a rattle...the baby is swaddled up and the rattle is on the bottom...

Amy said...

Oh, you just made my day! "Do you know who the daddy is?"! A HAHAHAHAHA! Thanks and lots of love for you and the mister and baby!

Liz Johnson said...

That was HILARIOUS. Kids crack me up. Thanks for the laugh!

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

These are really funny Emily! I was actually laughing out loud reading them! You are so close! Ahh! I expect that you will be posting lots of pictures and the labor/delivery story once the little guy comes...girls love reading those stories ya know :)

Heather said...

These are awesome! I'm glad you wrote them down! Kids are funny. You are getting so so close!!! :)

Cam and Josie said...

Those comments are PRICELESS! I love their innocence, but at the same time, they are SO SMART!! (Besides the whole Emimly thing ; ) ) Any day now, Em! I am so excited for you!

Lesley said...

I loved those! Yes, definately submit some of those to Readers Digest!

I want Hector to be my friend.

Charlotte and Dugan Frehner said...

These are so amazing I love children. I am so excited for you and I wish you the best of luck. We will be praying for you. No name yet?

Megan said...

I loved these kid's comments. I'm so glad you shared them with all of us. I laughed out loud reading some of them. I'm so excited for you!

Julie said...

Love it! Makes you wonder what they'll think up next.

Rachel said...

LOL! I love the quote about swallowing the cell phone so they could hear the baby cry! That's so funny!

Oh, and I think it's sad that they asked you if you know who the daddy is. It says something about what their backgrounds might be like. :( When my sister-in-law had a baby at the University Hospital in Cincinnati, the nurses purposely took a picture of my brother holding the baby with his wedding ring showing in the picture. The nurses seemed to think it was pretty rare to see a MARRIED couple come in to have a baby.

Sarah said...

Oh-My-Gosh! Totally hilarious! My students say funny things about pregnancy, but they're in high school, so nothing this good! Good luck with everything! I'm so excited for you!!

pandorasbox said...

Sometimes I would stop by on my way home from the High School Right down the street from where Ms. Emily worked...Sometimes the kids thought I was a spy as I had a district badge on...other times they coudn't get their head around who I was...and how I was "related" to Ms. Emily. They would also ask me if I knew their siblings as they told me the names of their siblings. I would look at them and say..."If I don't know the name of your sibling that is a good thing, I work with a lot of troublemakers." There are over 1200 students at the High School and I couldn't even begin to tell you the name of all of them. Her students were so cute and loveable they will definitely miss her.

breena rae said...

kids really do say the darndest things...the "baptize him catholic" one was my fav.

hilary w said...

That is hilarious! I read them aloud to Travis. I can't believe you are due so soon! I will definitely be checking back here often!

Vicky said...

That was so funny! Happy hibernating!

Alene said...

Oh my goodness! Those were hilarious! I'm sooo glad you documented those!