If you don't want to read the whole story skip to paragraph 3
The Story of Emily and Cooking/Baking:
Freshman year of college I lived in the dorms and ate at the Cannon Center, never cooked or grocery shopped. Sophomore year I live in an actual apartment. My diet of cereal, pretzels, apples with peanut butter, toast and quesadillas made me happy. I never cooked or bought meat, too much hassle and back then the thought of raw meat made me sick. At that point in my life the only meat I'd ever cooked was ground beef on occasion at home, but usually I just chopped veggies or set the table or something to help my mom with dinner. Enter:Jared. We started dating and eating together. Quesidillas (how do you spell that one?) didn't exactly satisfy him and one day he realizes "umm, we need to eat some meat". So he starts cooking for me on the grill, it was fun, we tried lots of different marinades and HE cooked. One night he had class late so I decided to make our whole dinner by myself. I decided to cook some chicken. Didn't know how to defrost it, let alone saute it on the stove, it was completely over cooked but I did it! Now that I think about it he didn' t propose until after that, maybe I had to prove myself! haha
Fast Forward and now we've been married for 4 + years. Looking back at that now I just have to laugh. I feel like I've come a long way since we got married. I can grocery shop, and I really LIKE to cook (with meat!) and to bake. (I really liked Elder Uchtdorf's talk where he mentioned the difference between men and women cooking . . haha). Anyway our lifestyle as far as eating goes has definitely changed since we've moved out here. In Utah I was working full time and was pretty much exhausted after teaching 5-6 dance classes a day and commuting, I was also making more $ so we'd end up eating out a couple times a week. If I did cook dinner on a weeknight it was really quick like pasta or something. But on the weekends I would try to cook something nice, because, like I said, I really do like to cook now.
IMPORTANT PART, so out here the cost of living is more expensive, I'm working part-time, and preparing for a baby so we're certainly watching our budget a little closer. I'm trying to cook lunch and dinner 7 days a week if I can and maybe bake something sweet on the weekends for fun. It's going pretty well I think but I need new recipes! I love to try interesting different things and I've loved http://allrecipes.com for years now but I'm wondering what YOU make on an average weeknight with ingredients you usually have on hand. Also I'm looking for short cuts, an example would be "I know if I buy two green peppers I can use half of one to chop up and put in Beef Potato Boats and the other one and half for Fajitas the next night" or "I'll make a roast and serve it with potatos one night and put it in Enchiladas the next" or things like that. Really any advice would be great. Also, I know there are a lot of food blogs out there but I think it would be fun to start one, would you be interested in joining? Or do you have a food blog you do yourself or that you'd like to refer/invite me to?
Here is a recipe for a cold Autumn or Winter Night:
Chicken Taco Soup (crock pot)
1/2 large Onion, diced
1 (16 ounce) can Chili Beans (not just plain pinto)
1 (15 ounce) can Black Beans (don't drain either of these)
1 1/3 cup Frozen Corn
1 (8 ounce) can Tomato Sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (short cut - add 1 1/2 cups water and then just toss in 1sp chicken stock)
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis (original recipe calls for two - FYI)(undrained)
1 medium fresh tomato - optional
1 (1.25 ounce) package Taco Seasoning
2-3 whole skinless, boneless Chicken Breasts
Toppings:
Shredded Cheese
Cilantro
Sour Cream
Tortilla Chips
Directions:
1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and canned tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Cover and set crock pot on high for 6 hours, or whatever you have time for really.
2. One hour before cooking time is up, remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred them using two forks. Stir in the shredded chicken along with the chopped fresh tomato if you want, and continue cooking for the last hour. You can also add a cup of water if you'd like more broth in the last hour. Serve topped with shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, and tortilla chips, if desired.
12 comments:
Fun! :) I can't really think of any shortcuts on top of what you've already mentioned but I look forward to seeing what others may say.
Here are my favorite food blogs:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
http://telestialkitchen.blogspo
t.com/
http://24hourmenu.blogspot.com/
http://bloggerbuffet.blogspot.c
om/
I have actually been thinking about this for a while. I want the EXACT same thing. I was thinking of starting a blog with easy recipes from ingredients I probably already have. It's hard to get the baby out to the store.
Or, I would plan a menu (using several ingredients several nights in a row, like you said) and a couple of other people could plan a weeks menu plus shopping list, and we could swap.
Something like that.
I'm in!
i wouldn't mind doing a food blog with you- I have a few posts that I have done in the past on easy casserolls- you will have to search through my blog though to find it - I do not remember when that was when I did it- as far as good food blogs go here are a few
http://kelseyskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://megmagic.blogspot.com/
http://adabofthis.blogspot.com/
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/
http://crumblycookie.wordpress.com/
I ope this helps
Sarah Roberts
oh here are aome more blogs i visit
http://projectdomestication.blogspot.com/
http://tuesdayswithdorie.wordpress.com/
fun idea. It's hard to always be the one who comes up with the dinner idea and makes it! Tricky with a little one I might add. But I love to cook as well. I love all recipes.com. It's my favorite site for food. I usually have an idea and then search for it - but it you have one ingredient you need to use you can search for that ingredient and it will give you ideas (I'm sure you know that though).
This really is a never ending battle for us wives and moms...my favorite website for recipes is www.recipezaar.com.
Check out recipes I post on my blog by going to my labels on the right side bar and clicking on the recipe label.
Check out this post (http://bradandjessie.blogspot.com/2008/07/whats-for-dinner.html) from my blog to see how I decide what to make for dinner. That method has worked great for me!
Good luck with your cooking adventures! I'm going to try your taco soup crockpot recipe that you just posted.
Here's a "thumbs-up!" from Jared on the Taco soup. That's a definite winner.
i had a similar idea, sharing dinner ideas. it kind of lost it's savor after a while, not many people post to it as often anymore.
i love this lady, she does amazing thing with day old food. to cover your short cuts thing.
http://www.leftoverqueen.com/
here's my food blog:http://delightfuldelicacies.blogspot.com/
and the one that's not so much as busy anymore. i really had good intentions, i wish it would have really gotten off the ground...http://theunofficialdinnerclub.blogspot.com/
there's a couple good recipes there, and ideas about freezing things like burritos and such.
anyway, I'd love to get in on the fun too. :) I love Elder Uchtdorf's analogy of men and women cooking too, so cute.
if you want my long list of favorite food blogs... goodness i have too many.
love the endorsement from the hubby :)
Hi Whites! Well, here are a few things that I do: whenever I buy a green pepper, I chop up the whole thing, use what I need to for whatever I'm making, then freeze the rest in a ziploc. Then, it's already chopped for next time I use it. Oh, and I joined the kraftfoods.com website. It's great! Plus, they send you a free magazine every quarter with recipes and stuff. Definitely would recommend!
I just discovered delish.com. It looks like it has some marvelous ideas.
I am a couple years behind you in that department....still eating out a couple times a week. Or should I say cooking a couple times a week. Jeremy is pretty patient about it :) But school, work and home?? Yeah. In a couple years I will be needing the recipes too! Good Luck, I love to see how you guys are doing. Take Care.
Rach
My favorite recipe for pizza crust:
1 T yeast
1 cup warm water
mix
1 t salt
1 t sugar
2 t oil
2/12 cup flour
mix together w/ yeast mixture
top w/ toppings of choice
cook 15-20 mins at 425
Super easy and super fast.
We like to do bbq chicken or a veggie pizza with alfredo sauce and broccoli, peppers and tomatos. (trust me its good)
Crock pots are the best. One trick I found is to cook a whole bunch of chicken in the crock pot (w/just water and maybe a little onion) Then it shreds really easily and I can divide it into freezer bags. It makes me a lot more willing to cook something with chicken because it's already cooked.
I'm all about a food blog. :)
Post a Comment