Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day!

I need a new post but don't really have any new pics, so just for fun . . .

Here's a recap of how November 4, 2008 went down for me:

8:30am - walk across the street to the gym for a work out. As usual most of the TV's are on msnbc, CNN . . .election stuff, which is fine but really it just kept repeating itself, obviously no big news yet. Since 1 out of 8 TV's isn't on election stuff I watch that TV, Saved by the Bell.

9:30am - walk home, glance over at the Commons building in our complex where the polls are set up, and where we're supposed to vote, not much of a line yet.

10:30am - After showering, breakfast, morning prayer . . Jared and I walk 50 yards (maybe less) to the Commons building where there is now a definite line.

10:35am - Jared's voter registration card actually listed his name as White S. Jared. His last name and first were switched. When he called to fix it they said don't worry about it. But we realize there are two lines, one for A-L and one for M-Z. So Jared decides he should probably be getting in the other line because that is probably where his last name of "Jared" was going to show up.

11:30am - Jared's line is moving really fast and is actually about 2/3 shorter than my line. I begin thinking about when I worked at BYU women's issue and had to file locker contracts. It always amazed me how there were so many more contracts that ended up in the 2nd half of the alphabet. Splitting the alphabet at L and M is really not very smart . . . my line was moving so slow and was still building up, but obviously these poll workers are volunteers and there is really nothing they can do about it.

11:45am - Jared is done voting. He was right and his name was listed in A-L. I guess the mix up ended up being a good thing. He comes to hang out with me in line for a few minutes.

12:10pm - Jared walked home and now I'm actually through the door! A man is really upset about the whole line distribution and is making his opinion quite clear to the poll workers. One worker refuses to give his slip to take to the booth until he calms down, which he does, but a couple minutes later 3 police officers walk in and talk to the man . . .he explains it all to them, they leave, he votes and leaves . . .that was interesting!

12:25pm - I walk to the next open booth and VOTE

12:35pm - I am home. My back is hurting, not to complain but being pregnant and standing in line for two hours is not good for ones back, so I make Mac n Cheese for lunch and lie down until I have to go to work (oh by the way I have a job! I work with Elementary kids in a program called Project Success, I'll have to talk more about that later)

2:10pm - leave for work, now there is no line whatsoever coming out of the Commons building!?

2:40pm - as the kids, 2nd graders, are lining up I over hear them arguing about who is better, McCain or Obama . . .it makes me laugh a little.

6:30pm - Come home from work and join Jared in watching the election results unfold on NBC, while checking the internet in seeing what's going on with Prop 8.

7:30pm - Go to my Hip Hop Class, back at the Gym across the street.

8:30pm - Get of of class, walk around the corner to the nearest TV in the gym where it says "Obama Elected the Next President" at the bottom of the screen. Well, this crazy election is finally over!

8:35pm - I'm home, Jared and I eat dinner and continue to watch the results on Prop 8 which are looking good but are really close.

11:30pm - I fall asleep, Jared is still up next to me with his lap top trying to find out for sure about Prop 8, which we didn't know for sure until today, but Whew! we took down our yellow signs, I'm sure this isn't the end but it feels good that all this effort put in by so many members of the church has paid off for now.

And now all the Proposition Commercials have been replaced by Christmas Commercials! I'm off to watch House (which was switched to tonight in light of the election). I hope it is a good one, last weeks episode was REALLY good (which kind of made up for the not so good one the week before), if you're even a little bit of a House fan you should check it out on Hulu.

7 comments:

Mallory said...

I love Saved by the Bell and am jealous you live across the street from a gym. YAY for Prop 8 passing!

Unknown said...

I want to watch it, do you happen to know the name of the episode, or the date it was on so I can find it easier?

Thanks!

Jamie said...

Yay for 8!

Sarah Roberts said...

wow wht a day

hilary w said...

That's funny that your line was so long! At our polling place it was the opposite...A-H was packed and R-Z had only two people in front of me. I was in and out in 10 minutes! A "W" name sure came in handy for me!

I can't wait to hear more about your job!

Vanessa Swenson said...

I absolutely love election days. I think voting is so much fun. I'm surprised that there really weren't any lines where I went to vote. The lines I saw from other places around the nation were absolutely crazy.

rantipoler said...

I'm so glad we have the right to vote, but I'm also so glad the election is over!!