Thursday, November 20, 2008

Last weekend in Orange County . . .

Last weekend was pretty crazy around here. First of all, 800 homes were lost to wild fires as close as 20 miles away from us! I wanted to complain about the horrible air quality, but at least my home was still standing and I didn't have to evacuate! Then we had protesters at church over the whole Prop 8 thing. Our building is on the same plot of land as the beautiful Newport Beach Temple. The same entrance to get to church is the same entrance as the temple. We got a phone call Saturday afternoon from someone in the ward telling us it was going to happen and to just keep our windows up. I had mixed emotions seeing them just a few feet away from our car as we pulled up for church. Honestly, for a moment I wanted to giggle, they looked a little silly and their signs were completely ridiculous, but then I just wanted to cry. I just wish they'd see that we love them, it is not about hate,we really do want what is best for them, and Heavenly Father has a distinct purpose for them on earth, there is a plan of happiness. I spent time on Sunday thinking how blessed I am to have the gospel in my life and how important missionary work is. I can't imagine what life would be like without the knowledge and faith that I have. On Saturday we actually had dinner with another couple in our ward and the missionaries in our ward, it was great to talk with them. Anyway, well we're excited to be heading up to Utah for Thanksgiving next week! Sweater weather here I come!

Latest Rock Band Session at Jared and Em's . . .
P.S. Thanks everyone for the nice compliments after my last post, you are so sweet! It means a lot!

7 comments:

rantipoler said...

Sigh, living in paradise unfortunately does have its (few) drawbacks. My family's had to evacuate for the last two major fires down in San Diego, and it's always pretty scary. I'm also sorry about the protesters. I keep praying for peace for the people of CA and hoping things will calm down soon.

Sarah Roberts said...

craziness!!!Hey I still haven't gotten an invite to your babyshower-could you email me the info- I am just going to show up anyways

Brooke said...

I hate to be the one to tell you that it is 50 degrees in Utah, but there it is! :)

Charlotte and Dugan Frehner said...

I love that you play rock band I also play Rock Band one night every weekend. I am pretty good. I wish we lived close o each other so we could play together.

Rachel said...

Wow, I'm glad your house is okay so far. It sounds like situations in California are still pretty heated!! (In more ways than one...) I'm glad the members of the Church seem to be handling the protestors graciously. That takes a lot of guts. If it were me, I might not be so kind. ;)

toddkmack said...

The joys of living in CA. Luckily we haven't had protesters at church. Probably because we don't go to church at the temple. Lucky! Anyway, we love you and miss you and hope to be able to see you soon (maybe we can do some rocking again).
Good luck with the baby.

Todd and Betty

Rach said...

Emily, my heart goes out to those who experience these things. Both with the fires and those who are fighting the whole Prop 8 issue. I am so happy that you seem good and healthy, and I hope to see you next week.