Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dreams

2 Posts in ONE Day?? (ATTENTION DANCERS, I think you'll like the "Dance" Section)

Well, technically it is Sunday, my computer clock says 12:14am and I'm up waiting for Jared to finish something he's watching on TV (I know once we are parents this will likely never occur). I was just brushing my teeth and thinking about Dreams. I've always had crazy vivid dreams but I've also heard their amplified during pregnancy. Here are some common themes over the last few months, none of which involve the baby.

- Moving! I really love our new place, to me it is just amazing. I know to the average person it is probably a pretty small and average place but I just love it! I have a big storage closet, a coat closet plus two big closets in our TWO bedrooms. I also have lots of shelving in the kitchen (well compared to my last one) and our bedroom is big enough so the bed isn't shoved in the corner! It's the little things you know. Well, my moving dreams involve us being kicked out of this place or being forced to move or share an apartment with another couple (like this couple from High School who really did get married but I wasn't even friends with either of them).

- Nighmares! Having to hide murder weapons, people I know dying. This sounds so awful! One morning I actually woke up crying! I went in the bathroom and just kept crying and then got in bed still sniffling, Jared woke up and this is the first thing he sees and is like "What is wrong What is wrong!?" not the best morning ever.

- Dance. Ok, since college I have had dreams where I'm about to go on stage and I don't know the choreography! Most of the time it is a dance I choreographed and the other dancers are all like, "ok Emily your dance is up next" and I'm trying to remember a dance that I really did choreograph, for reals, in my dreams. Somehow I end up faking my way through it. I think this comes from a pet peeve I have of finishing dances/changing the choreography right before a show. I HATE this. I realize sometimes it is necessary, who am I kidding, it is RARELY necessary. You've had hours of rehearsals, it should never come down to that. I think mostly it shows a lack of preparation for each rehearsal by the choreographer. I always made it a point when I was choreographing to have the dance completely finished as soon as possible and then leave time to clean. Even finishing a dance one-two weeks before the show is cutting it WAY to close for comfort for me. ANYWAY SO LAST NIGHT I had this dream that I was on Dancensemble again at BYU. It was dress rehearsal, not the actual show, and Pat Debenham (the company's artistic director when I was on it and a prominent male dance professor at BYU) had not seen any of the dances yet. My dance was up and I was like "oh my goodness I don't know this" but my dancers were all "Emily we've had a bunch of rehearsals, we have this down!" So the dance starts and it is this weird choreography, like rolling on the floor a lot, and it is completely something I wouldn't do. As I'm faking my way through it I'm thinking "I choreographed this? This is not me at all" but it ends and PAT LOVES IT! He especially loved Amy Drennan in my dance (she was in some of my classes but we were never on Dancensemble together and I don't think I've seen her in 4 years or so . . .) This is when I know it is a dream because Pat NEVER initially "agreed" with my choreography (agreed seems like a better word than "liked"). Once (not a dream) he tore my piece apart in front of everyone to the point of tears for me. But I was not the only person that this happend to, and don't get me wrong , I always appreciated his input and learned a lot from him. He really was just trying to get me to see things in a new light. Funny side note is that my family spent a week in Aspen Grove this past summer and his family just happened to be there the same week. It was fun to see him with his family and just being a grandpa. When I saw him the first day I went to say hi and ironically the first thing he says is "I remember you choreographing some great pieces for Dancensemble!"

Well, I hope you all enjoyed this and if you read the whole thing you're awesome. Oh and I do have another post below for earlier today, er, yesterday.

SWEET DREAMS!
Some Dancensemble members and I just before hitting the stage for a dance I choreographed. Winter Semester 2004

The date is off, this is My senior year of high school on tour with Dance Co. in NY at Broadway Dance Center, Spring 2002
Me and my AMAZING sound system at Granite Park taken on one of the last days of school this past June.

11 comments:

Jean said...

Isn't it crazy how we have these themes to our dreams sometimes?? I have nightmares too, where a giant spider is building a spiderweb right above my face in bed!! Yikes! I think it's because we get a lot of spiders in our apartment. :-)

Angie said...

ok i'm dying because everything you listed that you love about your new apartment has to do with extra SPACE! Hahaha so appropriate since you just left WYMOUNT. I'm laughing because it's so true. And I'm also jealous that you have so many closets and shelves... seriously. :)

pandorasbox said...

I am amazed that you can even remember your dreams...I usually forget them the minute I wake up. I wonder if you are stressed because you don't have a job right now and you are used to commuting 400 miles a week to SLC and Provo and being exhausted...So I think...once you get a job...you will be too tired to even have time to remember your dreams so your nightmare Problem will be solved!!!

Heather said...

I always had crazy dreams while being pregnant (so weird that I'm not anymore). I loved how vivid they were too. I figured it was because I was never in really deep sleep and so I dreamed all the time.

Unknown said...

It's totally true! Crazy dreams while pregnant!

Sarah Roberts said...

Wow Emily:)

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Emily...I really did get your email and I keep thinking I will write you back and figure out a time when we can come see you, but our October is a little crazy. I am so sorry. We really will make this happen though and we WILL get together soon. So do you have a season pass to Disneyland? Just curious. We might be able to meet there sometime. That would be kind of fun. Even if we did it while our husbands were at school someday. We can work out the details later.

Anyway, pregnancy definitely brings on the wierd dreams! I get terrible nightmares while I am pregnant...I hate it! And Halloween and all the scary movie commericals don't help much! :)

Jared Blanco said...

So is it a boy or a girl?!?!?!??!!??!?

Chauny said...

I have the SAME dreams!! That I'm about to go on stage and I have no idea what the choreography is. Only, I didn't choreograph because I never actually choreographed (which I kick myself for now.) I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I totally fake it as well in my dreams. The cool part of my dancing dreams is when I leap and I just suspend up in the air and am flying/dancing in mid-air. Some people have flying dreams...I have dancing dreams.

Elizabeth said...

Just after I graduated I started having dreams where I couldn't dance any more. With all my might I would try to leap or even do a cartwheel and just couldn't get my self of the ground. The next day after I woke up I had to find time to try and leap and cartwheel just to make sure I still could.

That is fun to see the picture of all of us that were in your dance. I loved that dance! It was one of those pieces that was just fun to do. You are a great choreographer (even if it seemed that Pat didn't "agree" with your choreography at times :) )

Chase White said...

what are boys made of? Hehe jk