Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Moving Advice?


Jared and I are moving in August to Southern California. This is the biggest move I've ever made as far as distance goes. I know many of my friends, (you all), have moved many times or have recently made a big move. Does anyone have any advice on the following:

- packing correctly
- when to start packing
- throwing stuff away
- checking out of Wymount
- U-Hauls (driving them, loading them . . .etc)
- changing your address
- changing banks
- new cities
- time line of when to do certain things
- finding a dance job in Orange County (in a school or studio)
- finding health insurance for me in So. Cal.(Jared is covered by UCI) (i'm not banking on finding a job with benefits, mine end August 30th).

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

14 comments:

Tiff said...

Oh, honey... there are TONS of studios and schools for the arts down here.

Shouldn't be a problem to find a job. :)

Jean said...

Oh yay you're coming to SoCal!!! Sweet! We have to get together after you are settled in.

My biggest word of advice would be to pack up your whole apartment, then invite like 15 guys over to help load it all into the truck, and then give them donuts. :-) Oh, and remember to wash the walls of your apartment. Yeah... apparently Tim and I didn't wash our walls (?) when we moved out, so they charged us. Oh, and eat Cafe Rio every night between now and when you leave. :-)

Happy planning!!

Lesley said...

A lot of our friends have used Pods instead of moving trucks. I don't know if the benefit is price or convenience or that you don't have to drive it, or what... apparently they will store the stuff for a while too... http://www.pods.com/

Good luck! I hope you find the perfect studio!

Headle said...

I like Jean's donut suggestion...its amazing what guys will do for good donuts :P

You'll do great!! What an exciting adventure for you two! I love that Tiffany said you'd find a job! She knows.

You are such a talented teacher...you'll find lots of work :)

Liz Johnson said...

The donut thing is a MUST.

Also, over-label your boxes. Write every single thing that's in them, and what room you want them to go to in your next place. Also, have everything packed before people come to help you load the truck.

Disposable eating stuff for the last few days (and the first few in your new place).

I'm sure you've done the research, but we found ABF (upack.com) to be the cheapest option since we didn't have to pay gas. Most Uhauls get between 5-7mpg. So that's something to take into account.

Start packing sooner rather than later. If you haven't used something in the last week or so, chances are you can pack it and not have to worry about needing it before you move.

Pack your cleaning supplies and vacuum last (and closest to the door in the truck), so that you can clean your apartment at the very end, and clean your new one when you get there.

COBRA could work for health insurance until you find a job... or if not, you can check online for personal health plans.

Diaper boxes are fantastic sizes and shapes. You might be able to collect around the ward. :)

Ok, that's all I have off the top of my head. Can you tell I've moved like 10 times in 5.5 years of marriage?? :)

Vicky said...

Well, Liz took just about all my moving advice. As far as changing your address, you can get a change of address form from the post office, or go to usps.com and fill it out online for $1. That's all I have to offer other than nodding my head in agreement to what Liz said. Good luck! It's been great knowing you!

Unknown said...

Hey, I found your blog from the facebook. Where were you teaching? It looks so fun! I miss it. I was teaching special ed at a middle school in Alpine. Funny story, your friends the De Groot's, I taught her little brother and his little sister as peer tutors. I haven't meet them though.

Good to see you!

Unknown said...

I don't know many of the younger people. By the time I got back from Romania I had switched majors.

Yeah, I taught at Timberline, and LOVE LOVE LOVE both of their siblings. They were some of my FAVORITE peer-tutors. I had Whitney's brother 2 semesters. He always talked about her.

Good luck with the move. I'm excited for you! My advice is to go to EVERY ward activity they have. You will make friends faster.

pandorasbox said...

Hi EM,

Want me to come out and help you pitch...I have lots of experience and I work for food! I can help you with the job, you can work as a substitute teacher or an instructional Aide...for a district and with the Aide job you can get really good insurance benefits. Until you get your 5th year credential in CA it is going to be hard to find a job for a district. The only school that has a real dance program is OCPerforming Arts. I will ask around...Banks I can help with that...post office is easy for transferring the mail.

Hugs!

P

New Beginnings. said...

i'd start packing now and while you are packing get rid of things you don't want or need. Also I would pack things by the room they are intended to end up in so that when you unpack you know what boxes should be where...I hope this is helpful

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

No advice! Please pass on whatever advice you might get...we will definitely need it!

Megan said...

Moving is always memorable. My advice is say a prayer before you leave! It always helps. Start early with the packing. When we moved from UT to GA the packing wasn't too bad but recently our move to Indy showed me how much STUFF we have accumulated in the last two years. It's exhausting and if you can get some help from some friends and family I highly recommend it. I'm sure you will be able to find a job easily done there! Good luck.

Heather said...

we didn't have any furniture so moving to Wisconsin was a bit easier. We got a small u-haul and my sister in her Van pulled it for us. We plan on seeling most of our furniture too before we move away from WI. We craiglisted most of it so it's not really worth anything to us - just getting us by until we can afford something real one day.

i would start getting rid of things as soon as posible. Makes it easier in the end few weeks when you're making room for things.

Yes have people help you move it after it's packed up. We moved into our apartment on our own on the hottest day of the year (seriously 103 and high humidity) alone. It was hard. We moved to a 2 bedroom a few months ago and asked the elder Quarm to help! It was great. We gave them dounuts and juice.

Doesn't Jared's school cover you insurance wise as well? Logan's plan did - it just cost a bit more.

GOOD LUCK!!

Chase said...

Just sell EVERYTHING and buy new stuff when you get there. That way you can fly to California with no luggage.