So You Think You Can Dance . . .
So I've loved the show for the past three years, I still love it. What draws me to it the most is the extremely talented CHOREOGRAPHERS (the dancers are great too but not what I look forward to the most). Choreography is what pulled me into teaching and it would be a dream to be able to choreograph my most creative ideas on people who can do almost anything. I especially love Mia's choreography, her work in the Celine Dion show nearly brought me to tears - anyway.
My frustrations are with the judges and contestants. This season I've been a little bugged with the audition process. I've seen and heard of some AMAZING dancers who got cut because they didn't have some traumatic story or troubled background. Less talented dancers have moved on because they could provide that drama. Now don't get me wrong, the contestants this season are very talented and I'm impressed with their stories but I know of dancers that auditioned in Salt Lake City that could rip some of them to shreds! Next, what really bugged me with tonights show was how Nigel kept saying things like, "You're a ballroom dancer and shouldn't be able to do those things, I can't believe it!" Ok, hello! Even if you perform and compete in only one style, when you get to the level of talent and experience that the contestants have you MUST have had training in other styles as well. All genres go hand in hand and lend themselves to each other. You only get that strong in one style because you've had training in other styles. The most talented dancers are those who can do each style and look like that kind of dancer, do modern and look like a modern dancer, do jazz and look like a jazz dancer, do ballet and look like a ballet dancer . . .(with expression and passion of course)
I guess the show is more about making TV more entertaining and dramatic and not necessarily about talent and passion for dance. anyway, just had to get this out before I go to bed!
5 comments:
I'm so with you. I mean, for example, I really like both Twitch & Komfort (sp?) as people and personalities, but they both got so much praise last night and I thought they both looked really awkward in their genres. And I think the judges are really hard on the more gifted dancers, being after their technique and silly little things while looking past obvious flubs on some of the others.
I think American Idol is in the same rutt. When I went to audition, I felt there were so many gifted people (including myself... ha!) who were better then the finalists who got on the show. Maybe if I audition again, I'll tell them I'm a single mom who lost her home to hurricane Katrina and who has a brother in Iraq. LOL!
I hear ya there Em and I totally agree with you about the choreography! It's my favorite part of the show. I thought Comfort looked awkward out there. I was really happy to see a tall girl on the show!!!! Unfortunately they didn't like her performance and I can see her getting voted off. Darn I just get annoyed that all dancers are like 5'4". Favorite dance was the No Air performance.
I guess you and Jared will be duking it out for the TV tonight with the Lakers game on at the same time and SYTYCD...but maybe Jared will be going to your mom and dad's and watching the game on the big screen!
Yeah, I hear you on the drama stuff, why can't these things be based on talent alone but perhaps they feel like the people with more adversity have overcome more and are more deserving?
Wow, I didn't realize that they were favoring people with "stories"--that's too bad. But I'm with you--I LOVE the choreography!!!! I loved the No Air one too, and the Tim Burton wedding one I thought was so neat. Hooray!
you and me are on the same page:)
Post a Comment