Thursday, February 28, 2008

President's Day Weekend

I was able to get TWO days off of work so we could go out to CA to visit two of the Universities who have accepted Jared in their PhD programs for the Fall. This is very exciting for me, though I felt guilty leaving my students, especially because we had two performances the next week but they did fine. Anyway, since we've been married the appealing thought of living in Southern California has been in my head because Jared is from Orange County. Visiting Dana Point Harbor, just a few minutes away from Jared's Fam's house. This was the spot Jared took me when I first came out to meet his family 4 years ago over the same weekend! I wouldn't leave without going to the beach!

Jared and Dad White, looking cool in their shades
After admiring all the Yachts and Sailboats it was interesting to see this one, It looks like an old pirate ship. I guess tourists come to see it here at Dana Point.
El Torito Grill, we ordered a guacamole appetizer and the waitress made it right at our table.
Here we are with President and Sister Oveson. He is the Newport Beach Temple President and came to do a fireside at the White's house for the Young Men and Young Women.
Jared with Jesus, a family friend and really sweet guy.
Ok, sorry, now more about the schools. On Valentines Day we visited UC Riverside. They were very friendly and the professors seem to be good for Jared's interests. You can skateboard on campus! That would be fun for Jared and puts some use into his two or three skateboards that hang out in our apartment because he would get a ticket at BYU. Above is the family housing at UC Riverside. It is really different, several blocks of tiny individual houses, around 650 square feet. Our own house would be cool, but it doesn't really have a "homey" look. It is cheaper than Wymount though, believe it or not. For Southern CA, that's pretty good!
The next day we visited UC Irvine. I really liked it here and the current grad students we met were so nice and helpful. I could see Jared working with guys like them. One was a member of the church and told us about the ward. He showed us his apartment in the complex pictured above, where he lives with his wife and baby. It was really nice actually, but about double what we pay right now. (side note: You can see what my main concerns were with these visits, if you want more details about the programs and scholarship offers you'll have to talk to Jared).
This is the door to the Spanish and Portuguese office at UC Irvine. I just think its so cool how they can have "out door" schools in CA. Jared's high school was this way as well, all the hall ways were out doors! That's pretty cool for this Utah gal.

Ultimately I just want to go where Jared is going to be happy and enjoy the program he is in. We can live anywhere for 4 years right? I love Southern California and his family is so close, and we have friends there too. . . BUT Jared has also been accepted to Indiana University and UC Davis (Northern CA). He is still waiting to hear from Emory in Atlanta, Washington University in St. Louis and Arizona. We'll see!

12 comments:

breena rae said...

oh wow, you just updated your blog! I was on it about 10 mins ago ad now you have a new post. I'm so glad we are in contact again! you look great, love the brown hair.

breena rae said...

um...and it will be an honor if you become a CA girl!

Lesley said...

What a fun trip! El Torito is a personal favorite among CA restaurants.

As far as schools go, I would certainly recommend UC Davis over the Southern CA schools. My reasons being 1) I grew up in Northern CA and therefore was bred to have distaste for Southern CA, 2) Perhaps we could run into you guys when we visit my parents in SF next time 3) I attended cheer camp at UC Davis, and therefore am an expert on the PhD programs they offer. And I say they are great. :)

Good luck with decision-making! It sounds like you guys have great options. And how wonderful it would be to live near Jared's family for a while. Congratulations to Jared on all the acceptance letters!

Heather said...

No way! My sister and brother in-law lived in those SAME apartments - the army barracks type things they turned into student housing. They were there while he got his PhD. Super small 2 bedroom places with a small kitchen and front room. I'm pretty sure they loved it because they had a lot of friends in the area. How fun to move to So Ca where you've been wanting to go! I'm sure you'll keep us all posted. . .

hilary w said...

Wow, what a big decision you guys have! I can't believe there was housing in CA for the same as Wymount rent! Good luck with your decision. I cannot wait to hear where you go!

Megan said...

Ooh Emory that would be cool! Then you could hang out with me in Atlanta! However I'm a California gal and I think it would be cool if you got to live in Southern California. UCI would be nice. It's a good location and lots of LDS people. There is a reason why the housing at UCI is a lot more expensive than Riverside housing. :)Good luck with decision making!

Lisa said...

Hey, I care about the same things as you when it comes to grad schools, I suppose :) Good luck with all the decision making--it really is a blessing to have so many choices!!

Cam and Josie said...

How exciting for you guys! Best of luck with the tough decisions (Em, to me you have always been a California girl at heart--Yay for the West coast!)

rantipoler said...

Hey - this is Anna-Lisa. That's cool about Jared being accepted to those two schools. Funny about the outdoor walkways in the apartment building. I never really saw an indoor anything until UT. :)

Liz Johnson said...

INDIANA!!! INDIANA!!! I really do like it here! Which Indiana school is he looking at?

I was *thisclose* to going to Emory for undergrad. I visited the campus and LOVED IT. I still wouldn't mind putting down roots in Atlanta. So that would be my second pick (after Indiana, of course). :)

Chris visited WashU in St. Louis for law school, and he loved that too. There is a LOT to do there and a huge park like a block from campus. They also have really affordable housing (but not as cheap as here... can you tell I'm biased)? So those are my picks, 1-3. :)

Good luck deciding! I hate those life-altering decisions.

Headle said...

Emily and Jared--
HOW AWESOME for you both!! This was such a fun post--to actually SEE these big life decisions, unfolding!!

I know that you'll be guided by your own desires, and our Heavenly Father to know where will be the best choice for your sweet family! We are all excited to see where that ends up being. :)

Your blog is sooo cute!! I always feel happy when I see pictures of you two!!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

So exciting! It sounds like you have so many great options, but we would love to see you guys down in Southern CA with us! :)