Well, as you can guess I'm a huge "So You Think You Can Dance" fan. It's been on Fox the past three summers and I have just eaten up every minute of it. It's especially cool because I've had small "connections" to some of the people who have competed on the show, like Jaymz Tualieva of the 2nd season took Funk with me for two years and Allison Holker of the 2nd season is also from Utah and takes class at my cousin's studio. Just little things here and there. . . anyway, Utah is full of so much talent as far as dance goes, dance is really valued here. There are so many studios as well as a dance programs in almost every High School and some Jr. Highs (like the one I'm at). This is very uncommon for a state. Season 3's winner, Sabra, was from Roy UT and now this year they are coming to Salt Lake for auditions! Pretty cool! When I heard the announcement I thought, "Sweet! I'll probably see some people I know or have danced with trying out on TV!" Well, some of my students have seen that they're coming here and have been like, "Mrs. White!! You have to audition! We want to see you on TV, blah blah. . ." Now, this is VERY flattering, but come on now:a. Even in my prime I was never as good a leaper or turner as the contestants on that show, or had those amazing abs for that matter. . .
b. I'm out of shape, yes I teach, but my fellow dancers can say that teaching does not keep you in as good of shape as taking class.
c. The performing chapter in my life has closed, I'm a married woman and have other priorities.
d. Have you seen the costumes they put on those girls? Um, yeah.
So, I really don't dream of things like that anymore. What I do dream of, however, is being a JUDGE or CHOREOGRAPHER on that show. I would love to put in my two cents about the contestants and have dancers with that kind of skill and passion to work with in choreography, maybe someday!
Just thought I'd say what I was thinking about today because I don't have any new pics to post!
4 comments:
oh c'mon Emily- you should audition!!! You are better than you think you are!!!
Yeah... I auditioned for American Idol... LOL. I know what it's like to think, "Ok. Maybe MY time is over."
HOWEVER, I feel ya. There's always a "what if?" in the back of my mind, too.
I love that show!! I worked with a nurse, Connie Levingston, whose daughters dance and they knew those two Utahns as well. Isn't it weird to think that you have probably gotten as good as you're going to get at that one thing? That's how I am with violin. It's a very odd feeling.
You SHOULD choreograph! I would love to see them doing YOUR stuff. So, when you do, call so I can be sure to watch.
Post a Comment