Monday, January 23, 2012

as the week ends . . .

Right now I am feeling very very thankful for my community and friends.  I don't think either of us knew exactly what would be in store for us as we moved here and started our family and Jared's PhD.  But even though we face many many challenges and some days are tough I am so thankful for the community we live in.  It has it's bumps . . .won't list them. . .but it really is a special place.  I love the fact that random strangers have wished me Happy Chinese New Year this weekend, that I made good friends with a little Russian Grandma who hardly spoke English but would always light up and say, "Hi Max!" as we passed her almost daily, that this red-haired guy in the building next to me will always step aside as I come through the narrow part of the sidewalk with my double stroller and give me a smile, that little bunnies and squirrels cross my path as I walk to my car (I pretend I'm Sleeping Beauty), that we have outdoor movie nights in January and 100 people show up, that we have a tiny garden plot in our cute community garden, that I could help my neighbor calm down when her baby fainted in her arms and she was yelling for help, and especially that I can just send a quick text and meet 5 or so amazing friends at our playground 10 minutes later.  It's funny how we ALL count down the days until we're done with grad school but we know it will sure be HARD to say good-bye to our life here. . .I still miss my dear friends who have already moved on.

I just heard this song for the first time a few minutes ago but it seems to fit this post. . .


(thanks for sharing the video, Jess!)

4 comments:

Hope said...

OH. MY. GOSH. I miss that place so very greatly. I treasured all those "little" things too, just as you are doing. Verano is a very special place; there's no other place like it. I'm glad you are enjoying and loving it! Miss you!

Jared Blanco said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! YOU ARE THE BEST WIFE IN THE MUNDO!!!!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Ditto to your whole post! IT is a challenging, but exciting time in our lives! As much as I think I would change it somedays, I know I would never ever want to give up all we have learned and changed and the friendships we have made in the last few years. I know I will be a basketcase when we have to say goodbye to our lives here in SoCal.

HedaWood said...

I kinda know how you feel. I can't wait to be done with college life, but there are so many amazing people that will be sorely missed when we scatter after school is finished.

P.S. I love The Head and the Heart!