. . .still ring true today!
When I was 15 and a freshman in High School I had Miss Hanson for English. She was a sweet, single, red haired, dark eyed lady, fresh out of college. She was quiet and gentle, but firm. When we began reading To Kill a Mockingbird (or "TKAM" as she would abbreviate it on the whiteboard) I didn't really plan on getting much out of it. But as I took the time to really read the chapters of the adventures of Scout and Jem I just fell in love with it. The adventurous summer days, the mystery of Boo Radley, and the tragedy of Tom Robinson and his trial. Miss Hanson had a way of presenting the book and its subject matter that really captivated me. When we finished the book in class I remember her discussing these two main lessons:
1. You can never really understand a person until you climb into their skin and walk around in it.
2. It is a sin to "kill a mockingbird" or in otherwords, it is wrong to hurt someone or something that never bothered you, and just goes about their business in the best way they know how.
After that, I labled this book as my favorite and have ever since. Recently I figured it was high time I re-read the book I call my favorite. So I decided to open it while Max was eating. It's funny how reading it 10 years later it begins to take on new meanings for me. I found myself looking at it more from Atticus's point of view, Jem and Scout's father. I guess it is just because I've recently become a parent myself and have come to realize how important a parent's influence is on their children, not by what parents say, but by what they do and how they live their lives. Anyway, I'd like to add some more lessons that this book gives:
3. Even if someone DOES do something that bothers you or hurts you in some way it is STILL wrong to bother them back. You should be the bigger person.
4. Adults have such a huge influence on children, especially teachers and parents. But children teach adults important lessons and are often smarter than they think.
Anyway, I don't think I would've liked this book so much if it wasn't for Miss Hanson, so wherever you are Miss Hanson, thank you! Also I encourage anyone out there who had a bad experience with it in 9th grade to give it another try!
2 comments:
Boy did you hit the nail on the head...I need to read TKAM for enjoyment instead of reading it to help kids comprehend it with the help of Cliff Notes...:-)
I can so relate to the part about being a parent too...
I loved your assessment. I re-read it myself about 2 years ago and FELL IN LOVE with it! You are right, you do see it differently as a parent. I also can't get over what a wonderful writer Harper Lee is. She never has to explain anything...the lesson comes from the story itself.
Post a Comment