Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Adventures in Grocery Shopping . . .

I was just thinking about our trip to the grocery store today. It was really just a typical visit, but thinking about it just makes me laugh.

Our cupboards were bare since I try to use everything and clean out the fridge before a trip. Since we got back from Utah on Sunday and it's now Tuesday, we really needed to hit up the store. Max was good this morning while I made a quick meal plan and list. The list really wasn't very long and of course I wrote it out in order of the aisles, don't want to waste any time and keep Max in the cart longer than needed.

We pull up to Albertson's. Going in the morning is a MUST these days. Max is happier, everyone at the stores seems a little less irritable, it's not as busy, and the big car carts are usually available. Our Albertson's has a Fire Truck one and one with a black car attached. Max sees the fire truck one from his car seat, so we head over to it, but then he sees the black car too. I ask him which one he wants, "cool car!" So we go over to the black one, get in, do up the buckle. We're about 6 feet into the store when he leans out the window, "fire truck!". I'm trying to keep him happy so we run out and switch to the fire truck. 6 feet into the store again and "cool car!" I calmly explain that we're sticking with the fire truck and we can not have both. "cool car! Cooool CAAAR!". I fish out the fruit snacks I brought in my purse (that I was hoping not to have to use until we were at least half way done) but that does the trick and I'm off!

We're doing good, Max is working on those fruit snacks, I'm about half way done with my list. I see my neighbor with a little girl exactly Max's age. We say hi for a second. Her little girl is sitting so well in the normal cart, no snacks, no toys! It really just makes me chuckle to myself. I toss in a box of fruit snacks in a strategic spot where he can't see them.

As long as we're moving Max usually doesn't ask to get out. Can't hesitate too long anywhere. But then I'm getting some lunch meat and notice these mini-pepperonis on sale, with a coupon attached, they're adorable! haha. I make Pizza often so I stop a little to long to examen the coupon and such. Max hands me his fruit snacks, "all done!" followed by "out! out! out!" as he hangs out the fire truck door. I take the fruit snack wrapper, there is one more in there! I hand it back to him and tell him, "guess what bud, there's one more!" It takes him a minute to get it out with those little fingers, buying me some time.

Later I have one more thing on my list, chicken boullion cubes, which I rarely buy and can't seem to find. Max is saying "out out out" again and I'm going through a couple different aisles. That fire truck cart is loud, big, and hard to steer. I felt bad as I had to make a lady with a walker move aside. I keep telling Max "almost done!". Those cubes are by the soup, of course!

We're in line. It's a little long. I let Max out b/c he usually does pretty good, and doesn't run away or anything. As I'm unloading my groceries Max starts putting Aquafina water bottles from the nearby stand into the empty shopping basket at the end of the checkstand. I really just ignore it, it's better than squishing/opening candy bars. The lady behind me in line starts putting them back. The checker is ringing up my groceries. Max is entertaining himself with the little mirror at the bottom of the checkstand. Have you ever noticed those? Are they just for toddlers? I don't know their purpose but I'm glad they're there. Then he's done with the mirror and just lays on the floor, motionless, laying there, laying there. My instinct tells me to say, "hey bud, are you ok? hop up big guy" but hey, he's still, he's happy, I don't say a thing. I wonder if other people are concerned about this kid just laying on the floor, the bagger notices him and says, "oh, you do have a little person with you, oh kids this age". I said, "oh, yes, I'm not just pushing around this fire truck with no child.". He asks me three times if I need help out. I decline. As I'm walking out with Max hanging on to the side of the cart the bagger says, "last chance!" I said I'd be ok. Pregnant lady with a toddler, I probably should've just said yes!

We really were fine getting to the car and unloading. Max is asking for cereal that I just bought but I distract him with a toy from the diaper bag.

We park at home. I pick a spot where it's downhill to our place. I load our groceries into the stroller. Then get Max out. He wants to help "puuush" which is great. I really could technically carry him and push the stroller with one hand but I'm more than willing to take them time to let him walk by himself. He holds onto the basket of the stroller and we make our way. Some friends are at the playground, we say hi. I wanted to stay and play but nap time was close and I knew we'd stay too long. Luckily Max is focused on puuushing. Just past the playground he decides he wants to kneel and walk, basically walk on his knees, and push. I let him for a second but we still have a little ways and I don't want him to ruin the knees in his jeans. I try to put him back on his feet, he resists, I decide to carry him, he resists. He wants to walk on his knees, I give in. I feel like I'm kind of making a scene in front of all the construction workers. When we get close enough I pick him up, against his will, and get the stroller to the bottom of the stairs (we're on the second floor).

Max seems happy poking at some plants. Almost all the time I get him to the top of the stairs first, then go get the groceries but I thought I'd make a break for it since he was happy. I get about five bags in my hands, then he decides he wants to go up the stairs with me. Ok, no problem bud, walk with mom. No, he wants to be carried, then sees the fruit snacks in the bag and asks for some. "not right now, sorry buddy". He's pulling on the bag, it almost breaks. I put the groceries on the steps, take him to the top, he's happy playing on the porch. I get the rest of the groceries.

We're in the house . . . grocery shopping for the week is a success! (well Wednesday is double ad day at our favorite place for produce, so we'll be getting produce tomorrow, wish us luck!)

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh man, this sounds familiar. Except my kid WILL run away at the register. Once we were getting in line and Jonathan BOOKED it all the way across the store. I left the cart and Aaron in line while I bolted after him, calling his name of course, but he wouldn't respond. I then proceeded to pay while holding a writhing, screaming kid. Awesome!

Kimberly said...

A few women in R.S. and I just laughed about how fun it is to grocery shop alone because we can (gasp) stop the cart and look at things. Your story made me laugh. You're not alone!

pandorasbox said...

gee I am tired just reading your excursion...that is work...hopefully he will be more cooperative when his little brother comes!

Kirsten Treff said...

Haha! It's funny how other people's kids seem so/much better behaved than your own! Max seems like he's always being good, so it's fun to hear about his little personality 'with mom!'
Also, those carts are so hard to steer! Do you ever go to the Pavillions by the church? Their aisles are so narrow- I'm always crashing those carts! But they are good with a baby, because one is in the car, while the other is next to you in the car seat :)
Finally, I think those mirrors have something to do with not shoplifting, though I'm not sure how exactly that works!

Charlotte and Dugan Frehner said...

This post is great. I LOVED the title.

Jamie said...

Just wait til you have 4 kids! I absolutely despise grocery shopping and only do it when my hubby is home. There's the occasional run to the store for a couple of things...but usually what could be a 5 minute run turns into an hour long disaster! Good luck my friend!