
Ok, though you may not know this, I have colored my hair probably 50 + times in my life. I've had super blonde hair and super dark hair and everything in between. About a year after we got married I decided I wanted to see what my natural hair color was, since I hadn't really seen it since about the 5th grade. So I've been growing out my hair and lo and behold I actually really dig my natural color! (At least for now). Anyway, this week one of my students, Cheyenne (on the left), colored her sunkissed blonde locks dark dark dark brown. I did this exact same thing in October of my senior year in high school. When she came to class I told her how adorable I thought it was, (seriously she was a beautiful blonde but the dark looked just as gorgeous). She seemed really upset and told me that in her last class all of her guy friends told her they didn't like it and she wasn't even the same person anymore. I remember when I dyed my hair from bleach blonde to dark my guy friends were all like "it's just for Halloween right?" and were disappointed when I told them it was permanent. I was older and it didn't really get to me like the boys comments got to Cheyenne, but then again I still remember it, so I guess it did get to me a little. But anyway, my hope with these Jr. high kids is that I can somehow influence them in a positive way and help them realize that who they are on the inside is far more important that who they are on the outside and anyone who makes them feel like appearance defines who they are is no friend at all. Well, just for Cheyenne we warmed up to the song "I Am Not My Hair" by India Arie featuring Akon. Its one of my faves, especially because of my job. check it out on itunes. The chorus goes "I am not my hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within . . . .". And here is a picture of blonde Emily, just to reminisce.
4 comments:
Go girl. Women need to hear that kind of message a little more often. Especially Junior High School girls. Good work.
Wish I could come to the show!
I dyed my hair dark dark brown (pretty much black) my second semester of college. I definitely got a wide array of comments. And actually, John told me later that he thought it was weird, but ended up dating me about a month later. Ha!
Hey Emily,
I saw your post on Cort's blog and I was like hey that's Emily Wright from the dorms. How is life treating you! I love finding peoples blogs. Hope you are doing just splendid!
All the best,
Megan (Albertson) Armstrong
Hey, I love that postive message you are sending to your dance girls! I'll bet you are such a great influence in their lives. You are probably helping them more than you even know.
Post a Comment